Friday, March 16, 2012

St Patrick’s Day and Erin go bragh

St Patrick’s Day. Oh yeah! I’ve always made a big deal out of it. And there are two parts to this day.

St. Patrick
I still remember when I first learned the true story of Patrick. And I have promoted it since. He is known as the Apostle to Ireland. He brought the Gospel to Ireland and planted a strong church here. This church became a missionary church, preaching the Gospel all over Europe. It also preserved learning and tradition while the rest of Europe languished for a while.

So, first of all, St. Patrick’s Day is about the Gospel. It is a celebration of the Gospel coming to and transforming the Irish. It is also the remembrance of Patrick himself, a man of great faith and courage and spirituality. A man mightily used of God.

You can read his story in his own words in The Confession of Patrick. It is not very long, you can read it online or download it and read it later. It is awesome.

You can read it here or here.

We also have a prayer/song that he wrote: The Lorica of St. Patrick

Ireland
There is no escaping that St. Patrick’s Day is also a celebration of Ireland and all things Irish. And I love that as well. Oh I know that the world celebrates this as a day to get as drunk as possible and turn rivers green etc. I don’t mean that. We would eat corned beef and cabbage and I would occasionally make Irish soda bread; and this year I bought some Smithwick’s, the oldest Irish Ale on the market. But I mean the joy of being Irish.

Two of my daughters have caught this and celebrate this. But two of my daughters have not. And that saddens me. They fall back on the lamentable fact that I was not born “O’Rourke”. I admit this, with tears streaming down my cheeks. BUT, I do have Celtic blood. And, Mary was born McDougald. Celtic. So we celebrate our Celtic heritage, focused on Ireland. Unashamed and unabashed.

My family can trace our family line back to some who came to America from Italy and France, pursuing the American Dream. But then, what is the American dream? You can be whatever you want to be. And what did my ancestors want to be? Irish! So they came to America to chase their dream. And it has blossomed in my heart!

When I look back over my life, I consider that I grew up in Hawai’i. Now, I am clearly not Hawaiian, nevertheless I am Hawaiian in my heart. Hawaiian and Irish. Give me an island where the natives are oppressed. I'm also fascinated by the American Indian. I’m not Indian, that I know of, but Mary has Indian blood! Celtic, Hawaiian, Indian. I’m sure there is a connection.

I am Irish. I am Hawaiian. I’d be happy to be Indian. But for now, on this day, it is Ireland. Erin go bragh – Ireland forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment