Sunday, July 8, 2012

Our kayaking misadventure


Last Monday, Mary and I set out to go kayaking. Since we didn’t get away until around 3 pm we headed to the dam. 

When you go to the dam boat ramp, you see the dam on your right. Straight ahead is Fewell Island. The main course of the river goes to the left of the island and there is a smaller path to the right, between the island and the mainland. The island and the mainland here are mostly the property of Camp Canaan. When you put in here and plan to take out at the same spot, usually you make a course around the island. That’s what we planned. You can see a map here.

First thing we noticed was the water level was way up! Obviously, they had recently released water from the lake. Probably because of the heavy rains the day before. The water was up, the current was fast. We had to decide whether to go in or not, since coming back we would have to fight the current. It was at this point that I made my first mistake. I figured that by the time we got to the end of the island and started back, the water flow would have slowed. But, alas, it didn’t seem to.

We went down a ways, tested it, thought it was ok, so we proceeded. I think about halfway down the island, Mary began to have some concerns about being able to paddle back against the current. So we turned around and headed back. And sure enough, it was tough going. I’ve done this a few times and it is tough, but it is fun to pit your strength against the current. But Mary wasn’t making much progress against the current. So I suggested she pull over to the shore and wait while I paddled back to the landing and got some rope from the jeep. Which I did. I got the rope and came back to where she was. (She had made some more progress toward the dam by this time.)

I attached the rope to both kayaks so I could help pull her and we set off. Let me tell you, that’s not smooth paddling! But we were making progress.

As we got nearer the dam I thought it might be helpful if we broke up our trip back and made a couple of stops so we could rest. We stopped first at a grassy area. After a minute or two I made my second mistake of the day – I pointed to the point of the island and said, “Let’s go there and take a breather. Then we can head for the take out behind that little island (between the point of Fewell Island and the dam).” We made it to the point and stopped to rest. I moved forward so Mary could hold on to a tree branch. Suddenly, the water was turbulent and my kayak started twisting and no amount of paddling worked to control it. Next thing I knew, I was in the water! The kayak smacked my forehead and I thought my glasses had come off. But they hadn’t. (They haven’t fit right since, but that’s another story!) And I still had my paddle in my hand – I have been knocked out of my kayak twice, and both times held on to my paddle. I looked behind and there was Mary’s turned over kayak. But no Mary!

Mary was still holding on to a tree branch. I couldn’t see her, but I could hear her. She was calling out to me, a little concerned about being kayak-less in the river. I flipped the kayaks and got back into mine. I said, “Mary, let go of the branch. You can swim.” After a couple of encouragements she let go and floated down to where I was. We were back at the grassy area and she got back into her kayak. But she had lost her paddle. I took a quick look and there it was! Just a short way away. We retrieved it and took further stock: she had lost her t-shirt and shoes, and we both lost our water bottles. I looked down river and saw one water bottle, but decided it wasn’t worth it. ☺ We headed back toward the take out and made it.

Despite the excitement, it was fun. Pitting ourselves against the river and making it. And this is one of the things I like about kayaking/canoeing: When you get on the river and get in a fix, it’s up to you to get yourself out of it. And that’s what we did. It was fun and we praise the Lord for our safety.

But, I have reached a decision. Every time I put in at the dam planned to take out at the dam, they have released water, which makes it (very) difficult to get back. One other time, when I went out by myself, I made it to the same point and had to pull my kayak out of the river and wait for the water to subside! My decision? From now on, when we put in at the dam, it will be a one way trip!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed sharing your adventure and your thrill of overcoming...

    ReplyDelete