Saturday, July 14, 2012

Perspective


The other night I got to thinking about our kayak misadventure (which I wrote about here ).

Mary tells a story that is a little different than mine, but that’s because her perspective was different than mine. We were both swept out of our kayaks and in the water, but she was separated from her kayak while I had both of them very close to me. And I was able to flip them both over and get back into mine, but she was holding onto a tree branch in rushing, almost roiling water. So our circumstance looked different to each of us:

Mary was in the water, no kayak, separated from the take out by a good stretch of water marked by a strong current, and I was not in sight.

I, on the other hand, was in my kayak and had my paddle. And event though I was also separated from the take out by a good stretch of water marked by a strong current, I was in the kayak and had already crossed it once.

How differently we each viewed the situation! And how differently we felt about it – Mary was faced with uncertainty, and her version reflects this. On the other hand, I had regained control and my version reflects that. Perspective. Part of what I was able to do was help Mary get a new perspective.

As I thought about this, I thought it was a good picture of faith. I don’t mean that I represent faith and Mary represents unbelief. I mean, perspective is a picture of faith. What you see determines what you believe. And my mind jumped to the story of the 12 spies sent out to spy out the land. They all went and saw the same things, but how different was their report!

Ten came back and said,
We came unto the land whither thou sentest us, and surely it floweth with milk and honey; and this is the fruit of it. Nevertheless the people be strong that dwell in the land, and the cities are walled, and very great: and moreover we saw the children of Anak there. The Amalekites dwell in the land of the south: and the Hittites, and the Jebusites, and the Amorites, dwell in the mountains: and the Canaanites dwell by the sea, and by the coast of Jordan.  
Is there anything not true in what they say? Basically, their perspective was, “They are more than us, stronger than us, better armed than us, more experienced than us, and a lot of them are bigger than us.” All of which is true. So, from that perspective their conclusion was: We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we.

But the other two, Joshua and Caleb, had a different report because they had a different view. Caleb stilled the people before Moses, and said, Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it. Why? How? He saw the same things the 10 saw. Joshua and Caleb said, The land, which we passed through to search it, is an exceeding good land.  If the LORD delight in us, then he will bring us into this land, and give it us; a land which floweth with milk and honey. Only rebel not ye against the LORD, neither fear ye the people of the land; for they are bread for us: their defence is departed from them, and the LORD is with us: fear them not. Amen!

All that the ten saw was the more numerous and better armed people, and giants among them. I admit, that is a daunting view. But Joshua and Caleb saw all that and more – they saw God. When all you see is giants, you’re going to be afraid. But when you see God, them giants better be afraid!

Reminds me of a hymn we used to sing. In the blue C&MA hymnal it was across the page from The Lily of the Valley and made for a great pair of songs!

Others saw the giants, Caleb saw the Lord; 
They were sore disheartened,  He believed God's word; 
And that word he fully, fearlessly, obeyed-- 
Was it not sufficient that the Lord hath said?


I will never leave thee; 
Go in this thy might; 
One shall chase a thousand, 
Two put ten to flight.


O to follow fully like this one of old; 
O to be like Caleb, doing what is told; 
Then the Lord's rich blessing will be ours today, 
He will prosper ever those who Him obey.


If we are half-hearted, we'll not taste God's best; 
Those who follow wholly will be wholly blest, 
Blest in soul and spirit, body, mind, and heart, 
Rich in heav'nly treasure, which He will impart.


O to have one Master, only One to please; 
O to have one purpose, not our will or ease; 
Pressing ever onward to the goal before, 
Serving gladly, wholly, Him whom we adore.  
Caleb Saw the Lord  by Mabel J. Camp

Now to bring this back to our kayaking adventure. I suppose you could conclude that I had more faith. But that was only because I had a better perspective than Mary. After all, I was in my kayak. With my paddle. And as soon as Mary knew these things, her perspective changed, and her uncertainty was replaced by an increasing confidence. Perspective. What you see determines what you believe.

So I have to ask myself, Am I looking at those really large, scary, shadow casting giants, or am I looking at the Son? If I let the giants block my view, then I will be filled with fear. But, if I see God then I will rise in faith and be able to say, we are well able to overcome it.

No comments:

Post a Comment