Thursday, September 13, 2012

Observations from behind the counter

I have no explanation, I'm just telling you what I see.

People come in waves. I mean by this, I will have a wave of black people. Several people over several minutes. Then a wave of white people. Followed by black people etc. I have asked other clerks, I mean Sales Associates, about this and they agree. Just an interesting phenomenon.


People tend to color coordinate their purchases. It is the strangest thing but it happens all the time. They will get a green drink (color of the container or the actual drink), green gum, and ask for menthol (green package) cigarettes. Or red. Or blue. This is so consistent that it is really surprising when they get a red drink and green cigarettes! It only applies to drinks, gum, and cigarettes. Lighters and candy seem to come under a different category. 


There are some nights when it seems there is a spell over the land. No customers. No one one the road at all. It is a really neat time. Then someone comes and that seems to break the spell. They will be followed by several other customers at the same time. When they leave, it returns.


Kinda related to this is the social nature of people. I do get single customers, but frequently, it will be real quiet, then someone will pull up. And that seems to be a signal of some sort and other people will follow. As if it took one brave soul to embolden others to stop here.


It feels like the twilight zone sometimes - people materialize out of nowhere. I will have no customers and no road traffic. I will decide that I can go to the cooler or outside to empty the trash and no sooner do I get into the cooler and BOOM! there's a car! And I can't tell you how many times a car will pull up and they will just sit there. I'll wait but I know, the way to get them in is to step away from the counter and attempt to do something. Works every single time. 


And too many times to keep count it goes like this: No one so I go outside to empty trash; get to first trash can and a car will pull up. Go inside to take care of them. They leave and I go outside to the next can. A car pulls up. Love those nights.


When i got back from vacation one of the assistant managers asked me, "Glad to be back?" 
I told him, "I used to tell people there are no stupid questions. But I've changed my mind."

No comments:

Post a Comment