Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The wonderful and terrible I


I. This little letter, when capitalized, is amazing. It is wonderful, necessary, deadly. Just one little letter!

I is identity. I am me and not thee. I exist. I am conscious. I am aware of my existence. Aware of the world around me. I relate to it. I am special. Unique, yet like my parents and family. And in my case, slightly odd or a little weird. I love and am loved. This I is wonderful.

I is also self preservation. I am hungry so I eat. I am cold so I put on more clothes. I am hot so I take some off. I seek heat or cool. I get thirsty and drink. I am dirty so I take a shower. I am lonely and seek companionship. I am bored so I seek entertainment. I am not happy or satisfied or fulfilled so I change my life. I am in danger so I flee. or fight. I am oppressed so I resist. This I is necessary. Without it my identity is not only lost, I cease to exist.

I is also the essence of sin. I want my way instead of God’s way. What I will instead of what He will. I will determine my course, my direction, what I believe, what I choose, what I value. Is this I not the essence of sin? Proud, rebellious, stubborn.

Is this not why love and lowliness of mind are the two chief Christian virtues?

Love your neighbor as yourself. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Does this not bend the terribly proud, self-centered I? Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;  does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

And how lowliness of mind bends this proud and destructive I.

Philippians 2:3-4 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

Colossians 3:12-14 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;  Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.  And above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfectness.

Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Matthew 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

1 Peter 5:5-7  Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.  Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:  Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Oh may God give me grace to walk in love and lowliness of mind so that this proud and terrible I may bend before the Lord, that I may live forever and be the person God created me to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment