Saturday, December 8, 2012

Observations from behind the counter – EBT


This year we began accepting EBT. That stands for “Electronic Benefit Transfer” and is basically food stamps.

I always thought EBT was for essential food stuffs, but I was wrong. The only thing I figured you could get at my store by EBT was bread and milk. Not so. You can get candy and soda and chips with your EBT card! Back in November I posted this on fb:

EBT run amok. Last night, a man and a very pregnant woman came in and purchased:
a large bag of Cheetos
a large bag of Munchies chips
a 2 liter Sierra Mist
2 packs of sunflower seeds (regular, dill pickle)
6 Firecracker Red Hot Pickled Sausages
1 Giant Slim Jim 
a bag of Hostess sugar doughnuts
a package of Uncle Al's Lemon Creme Cookies
2 Apple Danishes
And all this as an approved EBT purchase. Ludicrous.

So distressing and irritating. Such an abused gov’t give-away. Oh, they can’t get fountain drinks or coffee with EBT because that is considered “prepared food.”

My manager told me about a woman who came in the other day with her little girl. They both had a handful of candy. As he began to ring them up, the woman said, “This is not together. Mine is on EBT. She will pay for her own.” Oh, he was livid when he told me this!

Then he reminded me, “Never ring up candy on EBT and then give them cigars.” I was flabbergasted! You know, “they can afford tobacco and alcohol but not food??” But I just told him, “So you will know I would never do that, I hate selling candy on EBT, I would never give anyone tobacco on EBT!!”

And just so you’ll know that I am not some hard-hearted, uncaring person. I don’t mind helping people eat who for good reasons, temporarily, need assistance. But it should be essential food stuffs: flower, sugar, beans, meat, fruit, vegetables, dairy, etc. Y’know MEAL stuff. It is ridiculous that they should be able to buy candy and chips and sodas and doughnuts. And I think it is totally out of hand if their EBT assistance frees up their cash to buy alcohol, tobacco, and lottery tickets!

No comments:

Post a Comment