Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter Surprise

Easter Sunday and I was surprised. I have not been at this church long enough to know their patterns and so I didn’t know we would be observing the Lord’s Supper on Easter. And, after years of Communion at night, I’m still surprised by Communion in the morning service.

Tiernan was with us and it soon became evident that he had never been in a Communion service before. How? He asked, “What are they doing?” Boy, was I caught off guard! But, this was a good question and now I had to explain Communion and prepare him to receive it – in whispered tones, while they were passing out the elements!

Tiernan is ten years old. He’s a sharp fellow, but still, he’s only ten. And these are deep truths.  Here, to the best of my recollection, is what I told him.

“This is Communion. By this we remember that Jesus died for us.”

They distributed the bread. When we each took a piece I said, “With this bread we remember how Jesus died on the cross for our sins. When we eat this we are saying, ‘Lord Jesus, I believe in you. I believe you died for me. And I receive you as my Savior.’ If you don’t want to do this today, that’s fine too.” But he did.

When they distributed the cup I leaned over and said, “This is grape juice. It reminds us of the blood of Jesus. When you drink it you are saying, ‘Lord Jesus, I believe in you. And I ask you to wash my sins away.’ ”

We drank the cup and I showed him where to put it but he said, “Can I keep it?” Of course.

So that was my Easter surprise. If I had known we would be celebrating Communion and that Tiernan was going to be in the service, I would have talked in depth with him the night before. Or at least on the way to church. But that’s why it was a surprise! Do I think he fully understood? Ha! I think there are plenty of church regulars who don’t understand communion! How much did he get from it? I don’t know. One of the reasons we celebrate so often is to keep these truths before our eyes, and each time builds on the last - there is no doubt that I understand and appreciate this more now than when I was a new believer. Besides, we distribute the elements but the Holy Spirit has the ministry of making Jesus present in them.

I love the Lord’s Supper! Communion with my Lord, receiving Him! And I pray that this will be a means of grace for Tiernan as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment