Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Comforting thought from Hawaii Five O


No one will be surprised to hear that I watch Hawaii Five 0. Nor will anyone who knows me be shocked to learn that after episodes I will frequently look up actors, just to learn a little more about them.

Today I watched “A Study in Rage.” A little over halfway through a character made a brief appearance. Of course, she supplied the last clue that led McGarrett to find the bad guy. I’d seen her before both in Hawaii Five 0 episodes as well as Magnum episodes. When the credits came on I saw her name, Josie Over. And I looked her up. Not much is known about Josie Over. Here is pretty much all I found:

Josie Over (1942–1992)
“Josie Over was a frequent guest on TV shows set in Hawaii. She was married to a Donald Over, himself a guest in a few “Hawaii Five-O” episodes. Neither did a lot of acting roles, though, so I don't know what their day jobs were.”

“She died Tuesday, March 24, 1992 at her home on the North Shore of Oahu. She was 49 years old and died of multiple myeloma. Her name was Josephine Nunez Over. Nunez was her maiden name. She had 3 sons and 8 daughters. Ethnically she was Filipino, Chinese, Portuguese and Spanish. She was cremated and her ashes scattered at sea.”

Another site reported that was also a pretty good Hawaiian hula dancer.

What struck me was, here was this person who had a life, friends, a husband, (lots of) children, and a brief moment of fame – she appeared in a few Hawaii Five 0 episodes. Because of her appearances on Hawaii Five 0 and Magnum etc we can find a little information about her on the internet. But just a little. Yet we nothing about her: Did she have a sense of humor? Did she laugh a lot? Was she sad? We don't know and now that she is gone, we will never know.

And that’s the point. The vast majority of us live our whole life in near anonymity and relative obscurity. Most of us only make the news when we are born and when we die. We have a life, we have friends, we have a job, we pay taxes, some of us marry, some of us have children, we buy a house, we buy a car, we take vacations - all kinds of life stuff. But no one knows who we are. A hundred years from now someone may come across our name in the county rolls, but it won’t mean anything because they won’t know who we were.

Does this mean I was depressed? Or that I am now as a result of thinking about this? No. It is true that in regard to the mass of humanity, I am easily lost and overlooked. We live in a fame crazy culture and I am an total unknown. But there is One who knows my name, who sees me all the time. Who says of me, “But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.”

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And He hears me when I call *

Way back in 1981, a brother named Dallas Holm wrote a song, I Saw The Lord:

The place was white as snow
and pure as finest gold.
It had the look of new,
yet had the look of old.
I felt like I was home,
but felt so far away,
In fear I thought to leave,
but felt the urge to stay.

And then a silence fell
like none I'd ever known.
I stood among the millions,
I stood there all alone.
His face was like the sun,
His eyes were like the sea,
His voice was like the thunder
rolling through eternity.

And I saw the Lord
He was high and lifted up
and rightfully adored

And I saw the Lord
and He saw me

Yes, I live among millions of people and I am insignificant. Not only that, I try to fly under the radar. But there is One I cannot hide from – the Creator. He sees me. He knows me. He knows my heart. In the midst of all the people who have ever lived, and who are alive today, He see me and hears the cry of my heart! And in that Day, when I stand with a multitude too large to count, and see the Lord, I will not be lost in the crowd, for He will see me.

Isn’t it funny how a comforting thought can cross your mind even when you are looking up someone from a Hawaii Five 0 episode?

Psalm 139

* He Knows My Name by Tommy Walker

8 comments:

  1. I do the same thing I like to know about actors I've never heard of and shocked how hard it is to find things out and in some cases u find thinks out like her passing at s young age and it makes u think

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has left a void for all who did not know her: a few off work pics her and the family maybe the house. Miss ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’re a loon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josie Over was a one of a kind. She was beautiful inside and out. Kindness and generosity were an every moment occurrence. She and husband Don were married 26 years and raised 26 children. She oil painted, was a gourmet cook, dancer for Tihati Productions, tennis player. A brilliant Wife, Mother and above all an authentic, loving friend. After more than 30 years she remains, missed, loved, and thought of often. A rare beauty that was a gift to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciate this! Sounds like you knew her well.

      Delete