Monday, June 17, 2013

The Sermon on the Mount: Is it for us today?

Yesterday I began teaching the Sermon on the Mount to the combined adult Sunday School. The first class was an introduction to the sermon, mainly focusing on the message of the kingdom of God. But as we closed I asked the following question:

Is the sermon on the mount for us today?

One brother pointed out that all of the Bible is for us today. True. But there is a difference in how it is for us. The Bible is neatly divided into Old and New Testament. That is Old and New Covenant. We are under the new covenant, we are not under the old. What I read in Romans and 1 Peter I can directly apply to my life. What I read in Leviticus I have to filter through the gospel and make spiritual application. For example, we are not obligated to keep the feasts, meet in Jerusalem, build a temple, offer sacrifices, circumcise our males etc.

One more example of what I mean. Our pastor is preaching through the book of Ezra. The book of Ezra is for us today, but we can’t and don’t make direct application because we are not Israel, nor are we required to re-build the temple, restore the priesthood and animal sacrifices. We look for spiritual and eternal truths to apply.

So, how do we approach the sermon on the mount? Can we apply it directly (like what we read in the epistles) or do we need to attempt spiritual application (as when we read Ezra)?

A couple of weeks ago I had just such a discussion with a friend about the sermon on the mount. He contends that the sermon on the mount is not for us today. He says it is part of the Old Testament (Jesus was born under the Law) and is a continuation of the Law. We are under grace, therefore this is not for us today. We didn’t have opportunity to pursue the question of spiritual application or of how he views the rest of the Old Testament, but I know he is not alone in this view. These people read the sermon on the mount and, as far as I can tell, they say, “This is good but this does not apply to you. You can ignore this.” I have a problem with this. I don’t ignore the Old Testament. When I read it I am looking for truths that apply to me today. Would I do less with the sermon on the mount?

I discussed this with another friend. He disagreed with the notion that the sermon on the mount is not for us today, but went on to explain that the standards are too high, we can’t hope to keep it, and that is why it was given, so we would see our sin and come to Christ for salvation.

Truth is, in different ways, both are saying the same thing – this is law and not grace. And it seems to me that the same conclusion can be drawn from both views, namely, I can essentially ignore the sermon on the mount. But I don’t believe this is true. Are the commands found in the epistles of Paul somehow easier to obey than the commands in the sermon on the mount?

What is the sermon on the mount? It is the teaching of Jesus the Christ. He has been preaching the gospel of the kingdom (repent for the kingdom is at hand) and in the sermon on the mount he teaches about kingdom life. How can I dismiss this?

What is a Christian? A Christian is a disciple or follower of Christ. As a Christian I am a person who says, “I believe Jesus is the Messiah, the promised Savior, the Son of God. And I will follow him.” And what does it mean to be a disciple? It means I embrace and follow the teachings of the one I am following. Since I am a disciple of Christ, I thereby commit myself to following the teachings of Jesus. And I find the teachings of Jesus in the sermon on the mount. Therefore they are for me!

What about Jesus and the Law? One only needs to read the sermon to find that Jesus goes to the heart of the Law and elevates it: Ye have heard it said…but I say… and, All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye likewise unto them, for this is the law and the prophets. Amen!

There is no conflict between Jesus and Paul, as if Jesus taught law and Paul improved on this and taught grace. If there were a conflict between Paul and Jesus, there is not but if there were, I would choose Jesus over Paul. After all, I am a follower of Jesus, not of Paul; I believe in Jesus, not Paul; I was baptized in the name of Jesus, not that of Paul.

“But Jesus doesn’t talk about the Holy Spirit in the sermon on the mount.” Does this mean that the sermon on the mount is all about your efforts while the teachings of Paul are all about the work of the Holy Spirit? Hey, Paul doesn’t mention the Holy Spirit every time he gives a command either. The Gospel, as taught by Jesus, promises forgiveness of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit. Sure there is an inner transformation required to enter the kingdom, and was it not Jesus who said, Except a man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of God?

The sermon on the mount is not Jesus saying, “Do these things. Do them the best you can. Do them more than you don’t do them so you can earn eternal life.” Eternal life is gained by coming to Jesus. BUT, make no mistake, he is saying, “This is kingdom life. This is how those who follow me are to live.”

So, is the sermon on the mount for us today? Yes. Yes it is. And to the teachings found in the sermon on the mount we can apply the words of Jesus:

If ye love me, keep my commandments

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings

No comments:

Post a Comment