Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Observations from behind the counter: Patterns and Laws

A few observations about people.

This happens often enough to be a genuine pattern. Not necessarily a law of some sort, but most definitely a pattern:

There will be no one in the store, in the parking lot, on the street. Very quiet. This can be brief or last for 20 or 30 minutes. Then a car appears and pulls into the parking lot. Next thing I know, there are people every where. As if some kind of spell has been broken. Or people are such social creatures that when they see a car pull into the parking lot they almost can’t help but join them. Or energy attracts activity.


Same thing happens when I step away from the counter. There will be no one around for miles. As soon as I step into the cooler or outside – BAM! – a car pulls up. Actually, this has happened so often I almost have to laugh about it: I will be doing things inside, then plan to go outside to empty the trash. As soon as I put the gloves on, VoilĂ ! a car appears.


This is a law – Mopping the floor attracts people. This works almost 100% of the time! And related to this, Mop only a portion of the floor and the people who are drawn by a newly mopped floor absolutely have to walk on that portion!


As I said, just a few observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment