Saturday, April 12, 2014

Two, two, two trips in one

I wanted to go on a kayak trip early Saturday morning. Mary had to work both Friday and Saturday and was not able to go with me, so I asked a friend if he wanted to go. He said, “The water is still too cold, I think I’ll wait until it warms up some.” Not really, he had church and family commitments so this would be a solo trip.

Lately, I’ve been wanting to see places I’ve not seen before, so I started thinking about places I had not been. Landsford Canal State Park on the Catawba River. Been to the park, but not kayaking there. “That’s where I’ll go.”

The park doesn’t open until 9 am. It wasn’t as early as I had originally planned, but that was good because it was chilly this morning! I arrived right at 9. First person at the park. While I was unloading my kayak and gear, a couple pulled up and began to unload there kayaks. A crowd!

I put in and immediately nearly tipped over! There was no ramp, just a small and slippery bank and I had made the mistake of getting into my kayak without my paddle. The momentum of dropping into the kayak caused it to begin to drift away from the bank, I leaned over to grab a root and nearly tumbled out. Once I was stable and armed with my paddle, I set off upriver.

Here is a map of the park.


My plan for the day was to kayak around Culp Island. I went upriver past the island, because it didn’t take very long to reach the northern end and I thought the island was not that large. It was absolutely beautiful! You might think that a river is a river is a river. Not so. Different sections of the Catawba look completely different. And this was the most beautiful stretch I have ever seen. Beautiful. Peaceful. Awesome. If I’d had a camera, it couldn’t have captured the beauty. I saw deer coming into the park. Birds were giving a concert. Fish were jumping. Turtles were slipping off rocks. Amazing!

Finally, I turned around and slowly drifted back and headed down the east side of the island. There were some shoals that I safely navigated and I began looking for Waxhaw Creek. As soon as I rounded the corner into the creek the roar of the shoals ceased and all was quiet. I was overwhelmed. It’s not even summer and it’s like this! I found all these yellow flowers floating in the creek and collected a handful.


When I had turned around, I once again saw the couple I mentioned earlier. They had also gone up the creek. I went a ways but, not wanting them to think I was following them, I turned around and headed back toward the southern end of Culp Island.

This is the first trip. Nice. Quiet. Amazing. Relaxing. Enjoyable.

As I was paddling it began to dawn on me that this island was a good bit bigger than I thought, and I’m gonna have a good trip back up river. That’s OK.

Then I heard the roar of shoals ahead. Much louder than the ones I traversed earlier. I have to pass through them and hope they end here. I navigated them just fine. But I was wrong about their extent.

Thus begins the second part of this trip.

I rounded the end of the island and the river is all rocks and rushing water. I don’t think I have ever worked so hard on a kayak or canoe trip in my life! Even paddling up stream against water released by the dam!! I paddled and paddled and paddled. Dodged rocks. Got hung up on invisible rocks. Then it happened. Twice. I reached spots where I literally could not paddle against the current. Nothing is so frustrating to me as having to get out of the kayak and walk over rocks and falls. It shouts DEFEATED in all caps! After the second time, I could see the park, but began to think I wasn’t going to make it. Maybe I should call 911! Haha!

But, I did make it. I was so tired. My shoulders still ache! The first part was truly awesome – I was glorying in God’s creation. The second part was work! and frustration! I am wore slap out. Nevertheless, it was a good trip!
wore slap out Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment