Thursday, October 9, 2014

Wednesday night at the Roo and a full moon too

Wednesday night began on a strange note. I had several interesting encounters, too many for Facebook posts, so here we go:


A man came in to cash in a lottery ticket. He won $10. He bought three tickets worth $5. He left with three tickets and five dollars cash. He came back a little later and said, “You forgot to give me one of my tickets.”
“No sir. I gave you the tickets along with a $5 bill.” To assuage his irritation, I looked around the counter, went down to the floor and outside with him, looking for the missing ticket.
We didn’t find it and as we parted he mumbled, “You should’ve put them in my hand.”
Ha! Actually, I did!


Two women came in later for a few items, including two hot dogs. Just before they came in I had counted the hot dogs and taquitos on the grill. After they paid and left I went back to the grill to throw the remaining hot dogs away. Lo, they had stolen a hot dog! I’m pretty sure one of them also lifted a USB wall charger. I realized this was going to be an interesting night . . .


The store was empty when a woman came in and asked if she could borrow the phone. My standard response begins, “Is this a local call?”
She said, “I have to call the emergency number.”
“You mean 911?”
“Yes.”
That’s a local call so I gave her the phone. When she finished her call and thanked me I asked her, “Is everything going to be alright?”
Her reply shocked me, “I just found out my boyfriend of three months is a registered sex offender. So I left right away and all my stuff is still there: my birth certificate and other important things.”
“Wow! Are they going to get them back?”
“Yes, the county police are meeting me there right away.”
I have seen and heard of lot of things, but this was a first.


About an hour later a man came in for some beer. He works at a local pizza place. He formerly had a huge beard and had shaved it off. While were talking about this a groups of guys came in and were in line behind him. After he paid for his two 40 oz Miller High Life beers I asked, “You want a bag with that?”
“I need one, right?”
I explained that I have spoken with the Rock Hill Police and they say he didn’t need one, “Just don’t open one in the car.”
The man behind him, “Man, ya gotta have a bag. The police will come down on you if you don’t.”
I again explain what the police have told me. “No, they will. They caught me once with a can on the seat, unopened, and gave me a DUI.”
I replied, “Man, you can’t get a DUI with an unopened can.”
“I did. Got a DUI for an unopened can.”
I told him, “I don’t want to argue with you about this” and put the beers in a bag.
He retorted, “I don’t mind arguing with you about this. I just got back from Vietnam, I’ll argue with anybody. I did three tours over there and just got back.”
He’s like 25. I laughed and said, “I’ll argue with you about that. Vietnam is my era!”
He said, “I meant Afghanistan. Same thing.”
Yeah, Afghanistan looks just like Vietnam.


And last night was a full moon!


No comments:

Post a Comment