Tuesday, July 12, 2016

I guess they don’t do that anymore

The first church I pastored was in Pensacola, FL. I was fresh out of Bible College, where I received a good theological training, but, it would seem, not a lot of practical training. When I said the Amen at the end of my closing prayer church was over, so I guess I just stood around waiting for the folks to leave so I could lock up. I wasn’t there long when Mr. Richards, a precious brother, took me aside and said, “You may not know this, but our other pastors would stand at the door when church was over and shake hands with the people as they left.” I got the message, and even though we were a small group, I began standing at the door after the service.

I admit, it was uncomfortable - I was not really a “people person” and this felt forced. Besides, I told my self, they may tell me my sermon was good and I will start to believe it. Yeah, whatever! But I did it anyway. I was so uncomfortable with this that I prayed about it. Prayed? It would be more accurate to say I complained to the Lord, “Lord, why do I have to do this?” I believe the Lord ministered to me one day, “Just love on them.” Amen! I can do that!

And that’s what I did, I just loved on the people I pastored. Meanwhile, God was doing a deep work in me and I was a changed man. Before the service I would go through the auditorium greeting and speaking to every one, then after the service I would stand at the door and shake hands with everyone as they left, joke with the young people, and hug the children.

That’s what I did for the next twenty five years. Since leaving the pastorate, I have visited a lot of churches, and today I realized, none of those pastors stood at the door after the service. I don’t think the pastor of the church we attended these last four years did either. We recently attended a church three weeks in a row, the pastor never spoke to us. Well, one time I said something to him and he replied. But that’s it.

I don’t think they do that anymore. I’ve been to several churches and none of them do it, so this has to be intentional. I have noticed most of the churches do have a greeting system set up – someone posted at the front door to greet you and open it for you, and at the door leading into the auditorium, two people passing out the bulletin. Sometimes the bulletin passer-outers are at the front door. And in the foyer, folks with name tags that say “Greeter” greeting you. There has to be a school somewhere teaching this and everybody seems to attend. But, when church is over, there is no one at the door.

I want to be clear, I’m not criticizing or finding fault with anyone, I’m simply making an observation. But I did reach a conclusion – I was clearly old-school!

No comments:

Post a Comment