Thursday, July 14, 2016

The Lion of Judah

I used to sing this song in my devotions, but never felt comfortable introducing it to the church. Then one day my worship leader, Tim Childers, introduced it to the church, singing it to a tune he had written.

’Twas Jesus, my Saviour, who died on the tree,
To open a fountain for sinners like me;
His blood is that fountain which pardon bestows,
And cleanses the foulest wherever it flows.

For the lion of Judah shall break every chain,
And give us the vict’ry, again and again.

And when I was willing with all things to part,
He gave me His blessing, His love in my heart;
So now I am joined with the conquering band
Who are marching to glory at Jesus’ command.

Tho’ round me the storms of adversity roll,
And the waves of destruction encompass my soul;
In vain this frail vessel the tempest shall toss—
My hope is secure through the blood of the cross.

And when with the ransomed, by Jesus, my Head,
From fountain to fountain I then shall be led;
I’ll fall at His feet and His mercy adore,
And sing Hallelujah to God evermore.


Anonymous, from Sacred Songs and Solos

(Sacred Songs and Solos: Twelve Hundred Hymns Compiled Under the Direction of Ira D. Sankey)
other sources say it was written by Henry Q. Wilson

also known as Fountain of Mercy, Chains Broken, ’Twas Jesus My Savior

other verses that have occasionally been added

And when the last trumpet of judgment shall sound
And wake all the nations that sleep in the ground
Then, when heaven and earth shall be melting away
I’ll sing of the blood of the cross on that day

Come, sinners to Jesus, no longer delay
A full, free salvation he offers today
Arouse your dark spirits, awake from your dream
And Christ will support you in coming to Him

No comments:

Post a Comment