Thursday, November 17, 2016

A hymn for Thursday

Ooops! Last week there was no hymn for Thursday. I was out of town so I was unable to make a post. I make up for today that with two Fanny Crosby hymns. Both are great songs!
(There will be no post next Thursday since that is Thanksgiving.)

Redeemed

Once, when Fanny Crosby was asked, "Is there a special hymn written for your conversion experience?" she replied, "I would write many hymns to describe the joy of my salvation. The one that stands out the most to me right now is this one." And she began to sing in her beautiful soprano voice, "Redeemed, how I love to proclaim it."

You can hear it here

Redeemed, how I love to proclaim it!
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed through His infinite mercy,
His child and forever I am.

Redeemed, redeemed,
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed, redeemed,
His child and forever I am.

Redeemed, and so happy in Jesus,
No language my rapture can tell;
I know that the light of His presence
With me doth continually dwell.

I think of my blessed Redeemer,
I think of Him all the day long:
I sing, for I cannot be silent;
His love is the theme of my song.

I know I shall see in His beauty
The King in whose law I delight;
Who lovingly guardeth my footsteps,
And giveth me songs in the night.

Music: William J. Kirkpatrick, 1882

<>< <>< <><

Blessed Assurance
Based on Hebrews 10:22 " Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water."

Fanny Crosby was visiting her friend Phoebe Knapp as the Knapp home was having a large pipe organ installed. The organ was incomplete, so Mrs. Knapp, using the piano, played a new melody she had just composed. When Knapp asked Crosby, "What do you think the tune says?", Crosby replied, "Blessed assurance; Jesus is mine."

You can hear Alan Jackson sing it here

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

This is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long;
this is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long.

Perfect submission, perfect delight!
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels descending bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.

Perfect submission, all is at rest!
I in my Savior am happy and blessed,
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

Music: Phoebe Knapp, 1873

No comments:

Post a Comment