Thursday, April 7, 2011

Random Thoughts on Spring

Spring is indeed a wonderful time of year. The weather moderates and the flowers begin to bloom. And everything is a yellowish green.

It has been an expensive Spring. Mary’s car broke down and needed a new transmission. A week later, on the way to pick up her car, Erica’s car broke down and needed a new alternator. And it’s not like we had all that money just lying around.

Earlier this week I went to get our taxes done and OUCH doesn’t even come close! We are looking at having to pay A LOT. I am thinking about quitting our jobs, selling the house, and going on public assistance. But first we have to pay for the non-refundable plane tickets to Ohio and California! We are gonna enjoy those trips anyway.

Gas prices continue to go up. We are at $3.55 here the first of April. I predict $4 by May and that means maybe $5 by summer. I think this is terrible. But it has not stopped people buying gas. No one is complaining and I am surprised by this. And just wait for other prices to get adjusted for the higher gas prices. And have you noticed that when gas prices go back down food prices don’t?

I cut (some of) the grass today. I heard there was a petition going around the neighborhood and Mary was the first one who signed! As I was cutting I saw some beautiful grass – it was tall with a beautiful head. I learned something about myself this spring, or was finally able to put it into words. I like to let a plant just grow unchecked, and see how it expresses itself. I find a beauty in that wildness. My view and approach has very little sympathy and support!

I have a Muslim friend who comes into the store from time to time and we talk about political and spiritual things. Couple of nights ago he came in and wanted to talk about John 14-16. I tried to discuss this lightly, after all I am at work and have things to do. But he was persistent so I took out my Bible and we talked for some 2 hours. I left a note for my manager to explain why I didn’t get my work done. I was written up for it. But that’s OK.

And speaking about work, we are begging, I mean asking for donations for a camp for sick children. It has been turned into a contest between stores etc. I know these must be proven fund raising techniques but it been a real shock to my system. I am used to fund raising the Bible way: giving is a grace (God’s work in you), give if you want to and can do so cheerfully, no pressure, no obligation, no guilt; no contests and no persistent begging; and lots of prayer. Ooops, I just stomped on a lot of church toes!

Which brings me to my fence. Despite my patience, it has not painted itself and still awaits my painter’s brush.

Finally, there is Erica’s car. A nice little car. A good car. Would you like to buy it?

1 comment:

  1. I wrote a long comment on this...and then it was erased. In short, it just said that I hope your Spring improves!

    ReplyDelete