Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Things I’ve learned playing pool

First, it is just fun! Sometimes it is frustrating, but mostly fun.

Second, most of the people I play beat me. Which is a very small group because:

Third, I have to admit, I overestimated interest in pool, at least among the people we know. Dave could play all day, and we did when he was here. Anne will. And so will Mary K. And Daniel. Erica really likes to play as well. When they are around it is like I envisioned - a game just ready to break out. Most people seem to be either embarrassed that they know how to play or at how they play and as a result would rather not. I still have a few people left to invite. But I still enjoy it. My skill level is now probably third degree green ninja. Just this morning I played a game of 9 ball and sunk four balls on the break! Pretty good, huh? But this is the only time it has happened so that is why I am still only third degree green ninja.

This game is an illustration of Newton’s Laws of Motion:
I. Every object persist in its state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line unless it is compelled to changed that state by forces impressed on it. In other words, that ball ain’t gonna move until you hit it!
II. Force is equal to the change in momentum per change in time. Uhhh, I’m pretty sure this is about how hard you hit the ball!
III. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. You know, the cue ball is rolling along until it hits another ball. Then the cue ball stops and the other ball takes off. Unless you have put top spin on it, then it rolls right into the pocket as well. I wonder where “English” fits in Newton’s Law?

Straight lines that are not always so straight. The ball you are aiming at is directly in front of the cue ball. Directly behind that ball is the pocket. You lean over the table. It is so clear that it is a straight shot. And everything is lined up perfectly. You hold your breath. Slowly let it out. Draw the cue stick back and gently hit the cue ball. And miss the pocket! Somehow you were not lined up quite straight. Ugh! What happened? If you are off a little, just a little, that “off” is magnified by the distance. That’s covered by the Law: There’s a lot of green between you and the pocket. There goes my sympathy card - I thought it was just because I could only see with one eye!

And speaking about one eye, I only see out of my left eye. So I see the ball better playing left handed. But sometimes I just have a more natural feel right handed. Not often and not for long! I often play 8 ball right hand vs left hand. Right or left handed, I go through periods where I sink everything, followed by longer periods where I can’t sink anything!

I’ve learned a lot about angles. And that includes using the rails. It is a lot of fun to kiss a ball into a pocket. Or bounce it off of one or two rails. Even to take the cue ball off the rail from behind the ball, and knock it into the pocket. Not frequent, but fun!

Finally, I love to hit a ball, know it is going in and walk away, not watching it, just waiting to hear the ball sink into the pocket. My girls says that’s weird. But I like it!

All this makes me want to go play myself a game of 9 ball!
Dave, explaining to Ryan how he beats me like a drum

Anne enjoying a game. she probably beat me too

No comments:

Post a Comment