Sunday, September 11, 2011

My week at Edisto Island


A summary and recap of my week at the beach. There is no significance to the order, I just wrote things down as I remembered.

I read two books. “You had nothing else to do, only two?” I had a lot of other things to do and 12 other people to interact with!

Went kayaking twice. You can read about them in previous posts.

Explored Botany Bay Beach. I took pictures of that trip. Anne and I went the day before but at high tide so we couldn’t see much.

Played catch with Ryan and Chase. On another day played catch with Dave and Chase.

Hung out with Aimee. We walked to the beach together, surfed together, and watched Remington Steele together.

Wooed Scarlett all week. Got to hold her a couple of times and by the end of the week she would play with me.

Beach. Of course. Broke Drew’s board. Then he and I went shopping for a new one.

Enjoyed Lucca K. Before long she would shout out, “Gandaddy” when she saw me.

Watched Soul Surfer, My Favorite Wife (Cary Grant), Mr. & Mrs. Smith (Carole Lombard).

It was great to spend the week with the Meesters. It is always fun to go to the beach with them. Mary K and Lucca came on Tuesday and stayed the rest of the week. That was sweet.

Didn’t get to spend as much time with Mary as I had hoped. There were so many other people that she felt like she needed to spend time with them. We thought Sarah and Keith were coming down for the first weekend and we were disappointed that they didn’t make it. I did finally get Tiernan down to Edisto with us and he enjoyed it but was sad that he had to go back so soon.

Missed Erica. I don’t think she even asked for any time off so she could join us for at least a couple of days!

Drew celebrated his 9th birthday on Friday.

Dave’s Mom came to visit one night, I think it was Monday.

On the way back my trailer fell off! Yep, I was driving along, keeping an eye on the trailer when I heard a sound and it was bouncing erratically behind me!! I thought I had a blown tire and wondered how long this would take to repair. But all I had to do was put it back on the hitch.
We got home at three different times and unloaded the car. Dave’s Dad came by for a brief visit. Sarah brought her children over (Keith was busy watching the USC game). Then Steve and Brenda came and brought the quizzing benches. (Aimee and Drew are involved in Junior Quizzing up in Ohio. Bible Covenant donated the benches and Steve and Brenda brought them.) They hung out for a while and we enjoyed the visit. Chad and Lisa Parker and their 6 children came by to visit with Anne and Dave. If I have counted right, we had 24 people running around the house last night!

Found out this morning that despite all the information I had provided them, I was still scheduled to work last night – HA! I do return tonight.

What marked the end of vacation? Leaving the beach? No. Going back to work tonight? No. It was Anne and Dave leaving for Ohio this morning at 6 am. That was sad. I am happy that their move to Ohio has been so positive for them, but I sure miss them.

On the way back I decided, to no one’s surprise, that I could easily and quickly go local on Edisto Island. It is a bit touristy and populated with some stinkin’ rich people and does get ridiculously hot in the summer. But give me an island with access to both beach and sound and I would be happy. If only I could find a place like that close to my girls and their families!!

But for now it is a return to the mundane world of work.




The week went something like this:

Saturday          arrived; brief trip to the beach
Sunday            beach in the morning; that night we took all the kids
                        to the beach to look for crabs – didn’t see a single one!
Monday           beach in the morning; took Tiernan back in the afternoon
Tuesday           surfed in the morning; kayaking with Mary in the afternoon
Wednesday     not sure about the morning!
                        Anne and I drove around in the afternoon
Thursday         breakfast with Mary, then I went back to Botany Bay Beach.
                        Went kayaking with Anne in the afternoon
Friday              beach all day; late afternoon drove around with Mary K
                        celebrated Drew’s birthday that night
Saturday          family picture on the beach, departed

No comments:

Post a Comment