Thursday, September 8, 2011

Vacation – Thursday


Yesterday Anne and I visited Botany Bay Wildlife Management Area. We went to the beach and it was high tide. This morning I went back at low tide to explore and take pictures. I originally planned to take Mary but she wanted to go to the beach with the grandchildren.

It was awesome! I drove up to the parking area and there were plenty of cars. I was kinda bummed at that. But, while I did see a few people, I don’t know where all the others were. It was wild and desolate. There were mounds of shells everywhere, and driftwood. The sign said you could see Edisto Island from the end of this island, so I walked to the end of the island. I passed the last of the people. But I noticed there was one set of footprints going in the same direction. I am not sure where that person went, but eventually the prints disappeared. I made it to the river that separates the islands. I crossed it and stood once more on Edisto Island. What a wonderful morning. I didn’t make it to the beach with the family yet I spent all morning on the beach! Shoulda brung my swim suit soze I coulda swum in the ocean and river.

In the afternoon Anne and I went kayaking. We went to the beach by the river because I thought that would be an easier trip. This was Anne’s first trip. We went up river just a bit then turned around and aimed for an island just offshore. At least, it looked just offshore. We paddled and paddled and seemed to get no closer to the island. I mean, we were halfway between the beach and island but seemingly getting nowhere. Then suddenly the ocean changed. The waves picked up as did the wind. I was a little concerned so we turned around to head back to the beach. But we paddled and paddled and paddled and made no progress. I spotted three houses on the shore to our left to gauge our progress. After some more paddling we were making none! My concern level rose a little more, How are we going to get back? I realized the river’s discharge must be greater than I thought or could tell – and to top it all off, the tide was rushing in. So we aimed for the marsh on our left (on the right was open ocean). I thought we would feel better if we could make noticeable progress. And we made it! Then a few more little steps and we were at the river’s mouth. I told Anne, “This might be difficult; we want to be there (pointing at the beach we launched from, on our right) but to counter to river’s current we will aim for those people there (pointing to them, a little on our left).” So, with a deep breath, we took off. But the going was not hard at all and we made it, no trouble. So, on her maiden voyage, after potentially endangering my first-born, I got her back to shore safely. Later than we had promised, but safe. Praise the Lord!

After we had carried the one kayak back to the car, we returned for the second one. Lo and behold, dolphins everywhere! There must have been 10, 12, 15 maybe. They came out of the river and were swimming and splashing about. What a sight!

Another good day at Edisto. Tomorrow is the last day. Trying not to dwell on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment