Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Vacation – Wednesday

Tuesday was a really windy day, so I drove around and took pictures. But in the afternoon Mary and I went kayaking. Had a great time. Mary wasn’t real fond of paddling against the wind and the incoming tide. But she did it. At one point I told her, “I forgot to tell you that part of the joy of paddling is the joy (arm pump) of beating the current.” But the wind was rough, so on the way back we looked for and found a shortcut through the marsh grass. Mary amazes me every time we go out.

Today was a great day. Went to the beach this morning and it was beautiful. The ocean was 1-2 ft with the occasional 3 ft wave crashing in. Mary had bought the kids boogie boards and Aimee wanted me to work with her on catching waves. So I did. Then Drew got wiped out and went in. So I asked if I could use his board. You could not get me out of the water then! After a while the board cracked – they are just cheap styrofoam boards - but with a special twist it still worked. Then Mary got her kayak and she went out and I helped Aimee ride a couple of waves on it. Then I went out but it was too much work for too little reward (translated, I didn’t catch enough waves) so I went back to the boogie board. Sometime later the leash broke, but I kept on. A little while later the waves sort of lost their punch, the tide was coming in, and I came back to the house worn out as well.

After lunch I took Drew to get a new board, since I sort of rode his to death. I was looking at nicer boards and asked the lady at the surf shop about the chances of tomorrow being 1-3 ft as well. “Not too good.” Well, I’m not gonna spend $60 for “not too good”!

When we came back I offered to take Anne out exploring the island. I planned to show her some of the pretty sites I had seen. And we did some. But we also discovered some neat areas I had never been to before. One was at the Botany Bay Wildlife Management Area. I had been there before and even went kayaking there with Dave last year. But Anne and I found the beach. Undeveloped beach. Amazing! As was the walk to the beach. We believe we saw a small alligator in the water. I want to try and take pictures, but no camera can really capture the vista. Gotta go back at low tide so we can walk along the beach. That’s right, at high tide there is no beach – the trees and vegetation grow right to the water’s edge! Beautiful is not a strong enough word. And the drive out there captures the essence of what I like about this island. Maybe I will get some pictures tomorrow.

I also finished my book, Into the Wild (about a young man who died in Alaska). I may write about that later.

Enjoying my vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment