Monday, February 6, 2012

Fishes and Following

I read Mark and now I am in Luke. I am reading the Gospels just to read them and take in the words and works of Jesus. What follows is all from Luke 5.

Fishes
4  Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.
5  And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.
6  And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.
7  And they beckoned unto [their] partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink.
This is amazing. This is a LOT of fish. I confess, I have read this before, but I guess I was always hung up on v 5 and overlooked 6 & 7. This is a tremendous miracle. Don’t you think these fishermen would have noticed this many fish so close to their boat? They simply were not there a moment ago, but as soon as they put their nets into the water – BOOM – there they were! So many fish that two boats were about to sink!

Of course, when you think about it, v 4-5 are significant. When Jesus tells them to put their nets back in the water, Simon responds with the weary unbelief of the working man, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing. Then he expresses faith, nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net. Got to love it - nevertheless - I don't believe it will happen but I believe you. Faith.

What was Simon’s response to this miracle?
8  When Simon Peter saw [it], he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.
9  For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken:
I’m not sure I understand v 8, but v 9 makes perfect sense to me: astonished. This is “an emotion in which awe and fear are mingled” (Thayer’s Lexicon). That about sums up how I would respond!

Following
5:10  . . . And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men.
11  And when they had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed him.
This blows me away. Think about this for a moment. Simon and his partners (James and John) were fishermen. This is how they made a living. They have just caught enough fish to nearly sink two boats - this is a lot of money. Yet, when Jesus invited them to follow him they forsook all, and followed him. With only enough delay to get the ships docked. They left their livelihood to follow him. They left their paycheck to follow him. THIS is what it means to believe in Jesus.

And about this word followed. For years missionaries from Africa have told us that they describe becoming and being a Christian as “to walk the Jesus road.” Thayer’s defines this word followed thus: “properly, walking the same road” Ha!

My son in law put this picture on his fb recently. I love it and I think it captures v 11 and what it means to be a Christian:

No comments:

Post a Comment