Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Luke 9 – Who is this?

In another post I wrote that I was reading through the Gospels just to read through them and be blown away by Jesus anew. Well, I read Luke 9 last night. And it seems that there is a controlling thought for this section, expressed by Herod, “Who is this?” and answered throughout the chapter

7-9 Herod
Now Herod the tetrarch heard of all that was done by him: and he was perplexed, because that it was said of some, that John was risen from the dead;
And of some, that Elias had appeared; and of others, that one of the old prophets was risen again.
And Herod said, John have I beheaded: but who is this, of whom I hear such things? And he desired to see him.
The people didn’t know who Jesus was, but they were certain he was supernatural

18-20 The disciples
And it came to pass, as he was alone praying, his disciples were with him: and he asked them, saying, Whom say the people that I am?
They answering said, John the Baptist; but some [say], Elias; and others [say], that one of the old prophets is risen again.
He said unto them, But whom say ye that I am? Peter answering said, The Christ of God.
Peter answers for the group, You are the Christ. Can you imagine how excited they must have been? Ever since they could understand the people around them, they had heard that Christ was coming. And now, here he is! and they are hanging out with him!!!

23-26 Jesus on discipleship
And he said to all, If any will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.
For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?
For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and [in his] Father's, and of the holy angels.
This is awesome. But I tell you, Jesus must have missed the memo stating, “Taking up the cross and following Jesus is out; bowing your head, closing your eyes and raising your hand is in.” Clearly, for Jesus, to believe in Him (that he is the Christ of God) means to follow him, to become a disciple. And he makes no bones about it on the front end: deny yourself, take up your cross, follow me, lose your life for my sake. I was being sarcastic with the “memo” thing but honestly, I have never seen a gospel tract that says anything like this; they all say “Pray this prayer...”

46-56 The disciples are full of this thought – He is the Christ, the Kingdom is soon!
Then there arose a reasoning among them, which of them should be greatest.
We all get on them for being so stupid here, but they had this argument because they were certain the kingdom was soon!

And when his disciples James and John saw [that this Samaritan village did not receive him], they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?
They thought, if a prophet could defend himself this way, then we can do at least this much to defend the honor of the Christ of God. Their thinking was messed up but they were convinced.

57-62 Jesus interviews potential disciples
57  And it came to pass, that, as they went in the way, a certain [man] said unto him, Lord, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.
58  And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air [have] nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay [his] head.
Before you follow me understand this, this is not a way to get rich.

59  And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
60   Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.
Wow, this seems harsh: Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God. This is a social and family obligation and Jesus calls him to ignore it. Now, I have heard people say that the father was not necessarily dead, the man just wanted to wait until he had fulfilled that obligation before he became a follower. And that is probably correct. So Jesus says to this man, Don’t delay or put it off. Do it now!

61  And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.
62  And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.
This man is more up front, let me go and bid them farewell, have going away parties, and graciously cut my ties. And Jesus has another strong word, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God. No, do it now!

We always make it so easy and comfortable, but Jesus did not. "I am calling you. Cut your ties now. Don’t delay, do it now. Come, follow me."

The Gospel of Jesus is powerful!

No comments:

Post a Comment