Friday, January 4, 2013

Isn’t this fun?


Last night at work I had a sense of impending evil. A funny feeling that someone was interested in robbery. Most nights are fine, but every once in a while I have a strong feeling of robbery. Anyway, it was a pretty strong sense, so I was very careful to leave my drawer with as little money as possible. Nothing happened. In fact, after a couple of hours that “sense” completely went away.

This has happened before. A couple of years ago, a police officer, who is a Christian, came by and asked if everything was OK. I said yes. Then he told me that he had a feeling that he needed to pay special attention to the store that night. How did I respond? Roll my eyes and dismiss it and him? Nope. I thanked him and Him. Nothing happened then either.

What’s this all about? Am I just weird? OK, that’s a different post altogether!! I have no definitive answer, but I do have a thought on this. I think that at such times there are indeed evil intentions fomenting, and the Lord graciously makes me (and occasionally, even officers of the law) aware of them. My response of preparedness seems enough to quench that smoldering flame.

I also have this senses from time to time concerning checking IDs. I always try to be careful and especially so on Saturday nights or holidays. But every once in a while, I have a strong sense of danger – SLED likes to trick and trap clerks – and become especially diligent. One night I had that feeling and a customer, whose ID I checked, told me SLED was indeed out that night. Another night, same feeling and diligence, and one of our other stores called me and told me SLED was out. (Y’know, it has been a long time since I was green carded by SLED - green card means you passed the test; red card means you’re fired.)

All that being said, I think every clerk probably has that moment of fear when you sell tobacco or beer to someone that you didn’t ID and you watch them walk out the door – Do they go around the building to a hidden car? Do they nod to some unseen person? Does that next customer look especially authoritative (and gleeful)?

Isn’t this fun?

1 comment:

  1. I had that happen once when I worked at the bank. Two men came in and it was like sneakery and suspicion walked in with them and raised the temperature in the room. It was weird.

    ReplyDelete