Friday, January 11, 2013

The judgment of God in Romans 2


As I mentioned in my last post, I am reading the epistle of Paul to the Romans. In chapter 2 (I know, I should have posted this before any comments on chapters 3 & 4!) Paul speaks about the Day of Judgment. I don’t want to appear to be preaching, so I will just list the principles of judgment that I got out of Romans 2, and let you develop each one and apply it to your own life. God’s judgment is:

1. According to truth
2:2 But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.

2. Righteous
2:5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God

3. According to our works
2:6-10 Who will render to every man according to his deeds

4. Without respect of persons
2:11 For there is no respect of persons with God

5. Our secrets will be judged

6. By Jesus Christ

7. According to the Gospel
2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel

I realize that is possible to understand according to my gospel to mean, In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, just as I preach when I preach the gospel. If that is so, it means preaching about the day of judgment is a part of preaching the Gospel. This is significant because many/most today do not even mention the judgment, much less preach it. I like to think there are seven principles of judgment, so if according to my gospel means like I preach, then the seventh would be in the day signifying that there is a set day for this judgment.


While this is a definite future event, God takes no delight in this coming judgment, and affords us ample opportunity and time to escape it!
2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
2:5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God

In other words, there is a way to escape the judgment of God, or better, to be accepted of God in that day. And that is what the gospel is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment