Friday, February 22, 2013

Ezekiel: Invitation to a discussion


I recently finished reading the prophet Ezekiel. What a wonderful book! It’s so easy to be put off by the wheels and living creatures of the opening chapters and to see only the words of judgment, but the book really ends with a bang! I want to post a summary of how I interpret chapters 33-48 and invite discussion. I know I have the advantage, having just read it, but I am really interested in your input.
I will say at the beginning, that I see these prophecies fulfilled in Christ. I know that in the context, they are all spoken to and of Israel, but, as you will see, I believe they are fulfilled in us through Christ. So here goes:

Chapter 33:1-20 The Watchman
A very powerful section! What a word for the watchman AND for his audience. And one we need to heed (and preach) today. I have often heard this passage applied to every believer. While I’m sure there is some application, I noticed:
7  So thou, O son of man, I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel; therefore thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me.
Not every one in Israel was a watchman. A watchman was a set and called person.

And for those who think the Old Testament was just about judgment etc
33:11  Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel? 
Amen! What a wonderful and passionate plea!

Chapter 34 The Good Shepherd
This chapter is a prophecy against the shepherds of Israel. It seems that they had utterly and completely failed in their duties. Therefore, in 11-16, the Lord GOD, Yahweh Himself, says He will be the Shepherd of Israel. I believe this is the background for Jesus’ teaching on the good shepherd in John 10. This prophecy is fulfilled in Jesus. And therefore says a lot about who Jesus of Nazareth is!

Then, in 22-31, we find specifics on the good shepherd. And I will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them, even my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd. I do not believe He is speaking of the literal David, but of Messiah, and the angel speaks of this in the announcement to Mary in Luke. But what about
25  And I will make with them a covenant of peace, and will cause the evil beasts to cease out of the land: and they shall dwell safely in the wilderness, and sleep in the woods.
Is this a separate covenant? Perhaps coming after the new covenant of Jeremiah? I admit this is difficult, but I have no problem seeing this fulfilled in Christ and in the new covenant we enjoy today. I say this in part because I am persuaded that God is giving through Ezekiel a timeline in chapters 33-48, and at this point we are still reading of events covered by the first advent.

Chapter 36 Sprinkle you with water, give you a new heart and my spirit
This chapter contains a wonderful and amazing prophecy of a work of grace. In verses 23-36, and especially 25-27, He describes this work of grace
Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Has this been fulfilled? Does this refer to a work God will yet do for the nation Israel? However we answer these questions, I have to say, this sure sounds like the New Testament here. Even the order: water & cleansed; new heart; my spirit. Whatever else we conclude, I am fully persuaded that this describes the work God does in us through the gospel.

Chapter 37 The Valley of Dry Bones
When I read this chapter my first response is always, Wow! Such a description of resurrection! I know this could be a wonderfully descriptive way to refer to the restoration from captivity, but he says so clearly
12  ...Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves . . .

This is probably a good time to share my guiding interpretive principle for these chapters. I believe the book of Revelation is based in large part on these chapters in Ezekiel. And in Revelation we find this timeline:
19 Jesus comes in power and glory
20 the resurrection of the saints and the millennial kingdom.
That would make this chapter refer to the resurrection that accompanies the second coming. And in 24-28 we find the kingdom, characterized by David (Messiah) as King, the covenant of peace, my sanctuary/tabernacle in their midst. I believe we are the heirs of these promises.

Chapters 38-39 Gog and Magog
Two very interesting and detailed chapters. They have given birth to a tremendous amount of speculation on the identity of the peoples mentioned, as well as when this will take place. I don’t have the space (or inclination) to enter into a detailed discussion of this. I refer back to my guiding principle stated above: the book of Revelation provides the timeline and fulfillment of these chapters. Again, if I am correct, then this takes place after the millennial kingdom. We read in Revelation 20:7-9
And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, and shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
This is followed by the great white throne judgment. Thus far we have seen the first advent and the glorious work of the gospel, the second advent, the first resurrection, the kingdom, and the general judgment.

Chapters 40-48 The New Jerusalem
Ezekiel ends with another Wow! The New Jerusalem described in great detail. He describes the city, the temple, the dedication of the temple, the duties of the priests, the sacrifices, the division of the land, and a river of living water. And in 43:1-4, he tells us that the glory of the Lord will fill this house. Amen!

Now, how are we to understand this? Is Israel to be a separate people? with a renewed priesthood and animal sacrifices? I cannot believe that. Again, the book of Revelation, chapter 21:
1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.  2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.  3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.  4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. 
9 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.  10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,  11 Having the glory of God . . .

Where is Israel in this New Jerusalem of Revelation?
21:12 And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel . . .  14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
The people of God, brought together into one people, one bride, by Christ.

Chapter 47 speaks of the river of life, which we find in Revelation 22.

Ezekiel ends on this note: 48:35, and the name of the city from that day shall be, The LORD is there. Yahweh shammah. Is there anything in Revelation that corresponds to this?? Oh yeah, Revelation 22:3-4, the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him: and they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads. Amen!

That’s how I see it. What do you think?

All in all forever,
Jesus will I sing;
Everything in Jesus,
And Jesus everything.

1 comment:

  1. Chapter 34 summary Good Shepherd i like the most but i think u try more better. book summary by chapter any way this is also very nice, thanks to share with us

    ReplyDelete