Saturday, February 16, 2013

On Friday I went to the zoo


Several days ago Mary K called and asked if we wanted to go to the zoo with them on Friday.  I told her I would ask Mary about her schedule and that I would find out mine on Tuesday night. Turns out Mary had to work Thursday night and had already told Sarah she would watch her children after school on Friday, but I wold be off. I told Mary K it would just be me, but if that was acceptable, I could come. It was fine and we had a date for the zoo.

Then it began. I wanted to go, but several times a day, I would come up with reasons NOT to go. You see, I’m a home-body. And there is this thing that runs in my family, “Stay home, don't go anywhere.” So I knew I had to go. After several days of this struggle, I went. It was good that I did and I had a great time with Mary K and her family.

Thursday night I worked 11 pm until 3 am. Somewhere between 4 and 4:30 I laid down and went to sleep. I had hoped to sleep until nearly 10. Instead, I woke up at 8:30. Got things ready, including 2 Pepsis in a cooler and my mp3 player, and headed down to Columbia.

We planned to meet at Rush’s for lunch. I got there first and texted Mary K to find out where they were. Almost there. Then I got the text of the year, Lucca: DC, we’re gonna meet Granddaddy. He’s very handsome.

After a good lunch we headed to the zoo. What a shock when we arrived. The parking lot was full. We cruised around for a while before finding parking spots. There were buses and vans and groups of people in the parking lot. ALL of them headed toward the entrance.

At the entrance itself, there was a line of people all the way to the parking lot! Turns out, it was Free Friday for residents of Richland and Lexington counties.

Felt like everybody in both counties was indeed at the zoo.

I am definitely NOT a crowds person, nevertheless, I enjoyed being with the Colemans.

Now, a word about the zoo. All the animals were either sleeping or positioned as far from the people as possible. Daniel and I conjectured they could sense all the people and were stressed. As I beheld the different animals, I had the impression that they were depressed. And seeing their living conditions, and always being on display, who wouldn’t be depressed?

We stopped for a while at the elephants. They hardly moved. Two were stationed at some gate. Our guess was that it must be close to feeding time. The only movement one made was to reposition his trunk. I made the comment to Mary K that elephants stink! Then I had quite the insight: I know why their trunks are so long, they have a huge filter in them!

When we went to see the birds, at first I was impressed at how much singing they were doing. Then I noticed the speakers! The birds were rather active, but I wondered if they were bothered by the constant bird songs. They never said.

After the penguins I said I was done. Said my good-byes and headed back to Rock Hill. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them and I loved seeing Lucca and DC.

When I got home Isabelle and Jack were still here. Then Sarah called with distressing news. She came and picked up the children and at 5:30 pm we went back to bed (Mary had only 1 hour of sleep after working all night and I not much more). We set the alarm for 9 pm. It went off, we turned it off, and went back to sleep. Slept until 2:30 am! Now I’m up and I know my Saturday will be messed up. But it’s ok, I’m off. It’s 5 am, I’m awake and I’ve finished this post, I think I’ll have a fire. Wish I had a cigar!

No comments:

Post a Comment