Monday, January 20, 2014

Observations from behind the counter

Working with the public is so much fun


Last week I spent two nights training a new girl. All night long people would come to the counter where Brittany was running the register, look at me and say, “So, you training a new one, huh?” Both nights. Finally, I said to her, “This is weird. It’s like you’re not even here.” On her second morning a regular came in and while he was paying her for his coffee, he said to the manager, “I see you got another new girl.” Brittany and I just looked at each other and rolled our eyes.


Brittany was on the register and the store phone rang and I answered it. The man asked, “What time do you close?”
I answered, “We don’t ever close.”
He seemed stunned. “You…Never...Close?”
I said, “No, sir.” But he was so stunned he didn’t say or do anything more. After a moment or two I concluded the call, “OK. Have a nice night.”
A little while later a rather odd fellow came in and bought some beer. When he left I told Brittany, “I think that was our caller.” She said, “He was a little odd.”


Last night a young man came to the register with a 44 oz drink. I can’t remember how we got to talking about it but he felt the need to explain why he was getting such a large lemonade drink. “When I was drinking sodas I would drink a 2 liter a day. Then I started to worry about kidney stones. I heard that the acid in lemonade dissolved kidney stones. So now I drink lemonade.”
“You do know that our ‘lemonade’ is mostly high fructose corn syrup?”
Without even blinking he replied, “Well, it seems to be working.”


In the middle of the night a fella came in and announced, “I’ve got a lot of orders, here.”
“OK. What’s first?”
“I want $10 on number 3”
I took the money and set the pump. “Next.”
“I want 2 Newports in a box and one Camel Menthol Silver.”
I got them. “Anything else?”
“That’s it.”
“Oh, I was all ready for more!”
He said, “I didn’t know how hard you'd been working tonight.”
Hahaha! I love people with a sense of humor

No comments:

Post a Comment