Monday, January 6, 2014

What did you think about on the way to church?

Profound may be one word to describe the thoughts I had on the way to church yesterday.

In Sunday School the Pastor directed a question at me, but before I could respond, he moved on to someone else. The question? “Jeff, you may have the longest drive to church, What did you think about on the way to church?”

Well, here are the thoughts I can remember thinking during that drive.

Mary was late coming home from work and I was planning on taking the jeep. But she arrived shortly before I left and said, “Take my car.” I asked, “Why? Is it raining?” She said, “It’s wet, take my car.” So I did. I got out on the road and it was raining and I thought, She was right.

Most of the 20 minute drive was consumed with thinking about the windshield wipers.
Full or intermittent? 
Intermittent 1, 2 or 3?
Full.
Do I need to do the back window?
Intermittent.

And so on for the entire trip.

Saturday night I pulled out and set up my (tiny) stereo (it had been packed away for the new furniture and family) and my mp3 player. I brought the player and enjoyed my music for the first time in several weeks. Rooftops (Desperation) began and I thought, That’s a good introduction. Then I began to sang with them, “I was lost / I was afraid until You found me / And You took me by the hand...”

Somewhere along the way I thought, I’ve gotta remember to ask Brenda about the Salvation Army… I forgot!

Much of the time I spent watching the clock and calculating whether I will arrive in time and thinking, I didn’t leave in time.

When I reached the by-pass in York, there was a car ahead of me who also turned. I determined that I was driving faster than he was so I pulled into the left lane (it is a 4 lane road, 2 lanes each way) in order to pass him. But, before I could pass him he hit a puddle and sent a sheet of water onto my windshield. I had a brief moment of panic – I couldn’t see a thing! – before the wipers cleared it. I then thought, I wonder how many people have that brief moment of panic?

My attention returned to the music. Man, that’s a good song! Wonder what it is? I don’t remember this one. When I turned onto Lincoln Rd I thought, I know this! It’s Blues, that’s why I like it so much. Hmmm, is this Muddy Waters or Bo Diddley? Maybe it will stay on until I reach the church parking lot. It didn’t.

I turned into the parking lot and noticed there weren’t very many cars. I wonder where everyone is? Must be the rain.

There’s Steve. And Roy and Lorine are standing by the back door. And then I joined them.

Those were the thoughts I thunk as I drove to church.

Upon reflection, maybe profound isn't the right word!

No comments:

Post a Comment