Thursday, August 11, 2016

A hymn for Thursday

I Will Praise Him

When I saw the cleansing fountain
Open wide for all my sin,
I obeyed the Spirit’s wooing,
When He said, “Wilt thou be clean?”

I will praise Him! I will praise Him!
Praise the Lamb for sinners slain;
Give Him glory, all ye people,
For His blood can wash away each stain.

Though the way seems straight and narrow,
All I claimed was swept away;
My ambitions, plans and wishes,
At my feet in ashes lay.

Then God’s fire upon the altar
Of my heart was set aflame;
I shall never cease to praise Him
Glory, glory to His Name!

Blessed be the Name of Jesus!
I’m so glad He took me in;
He’s forgiven my transgressions,
He has cleansed my heart from sin.

Glory, glory to the Father!
Glory, glory to the Son!
Glory, glory to the Spirit!
Glory to the Three in One!

I would often change the last line of the refrain,
For His blood can wash away each stain
to
For His blood has washed away each stain

Margaret J. Harris, 1898

Margaret Harris was a member of the Iowa Holiness Association. She and her husband, songwriter John Harris, were active in holiness revivals and camp meetings. Margaret played the organ to accompany the duets she sang with her husband. In addition, Margaret was known as an effective preacher with strong messages.

I also enjoyed singing another of her songs, He Took My Sins Away

1 comment: