Tuesday, August 16, 2016

The vines in my yard

These are the vines in my yard. This is the story of my battle.


Virginia Creeper
Parthenocissus quinquefolia, known as Virginia creeper, Victoria creeper, five-leaved ivy, or five-finger, is a species of flowering plant in the grape family, Vitaceae. It is native to eastern and central North America, from southeastern Canada and the eastern United States west to Manitoba and Utah, and south to eastern Mexico and Guatemala.
This stuff is everywhere and very aggressive. Pull it out today and it pops up tomorrow. I have pulled it out of my bushes and now it is growing into the yard. I used to think it was cute. I no longer think that.

English Ivy
Hedera helix - common ivy, English ivy, European ivy, or just ivy; native to most of Europe and western Asia. A rampant, clinging evergreen vine. It is labeled as an invasive species in a number of areas where it has been introduced. And I agree, it is invasive. This stuff is everywhere. I am still trying to decide if it is useful in some areas as ground cover.

Wild Yam
Dioscorea villosa is a species of a twining tuberous vine that is native to eastern North America. It is growing in one end of my Forsythia. I have been so successful in removing it from my Forsythia that it moved to the area next to it, and vigorously into the yard. People have asked me if it is edible and others have said it was medicinal. I don’t really care, I want it gone.

Unknown
I don’t know what this is. It grows in one place in my yard, in a single Camellia. I don’t know its name and I tolerate it only because it has such beautiful and fragrant flowers.

Cypress Vine
Ipomoea quamoclit also known as cypress vine, cypressvine morning glory, cardinal creeper, cardinal vine, star glory or hummingbird vine. This grows naturally in all the cultivated areas in my backyard and has a tendency to choke out good plants, but I like it. I try to control its strangling effects while at the same encouraging its climbing. As you can see it doesn't need a lot of help.

I have also found kudzu and poison ivy once each, but thankfully they are gone.

The Virginia Creeper, Ivy, and Wild Yam are aggressive and persistent, so I am involved in quite a battle. They also grow quite fast. I forgot to mention, I don’t use chemical poisons, so I have to stay on top of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment