Monday, August 1, 2016

The week which turned into two

On July 15 we headed up to Ohio for the weekend (you can read about it here ) and we brought Aimee back with us. (Actually, we took our granddaughter Lucca up with us and brought her back too!) Aimee is our firstborn grandchild. We had four girls and so it seems appropriate that our first grandchild is a granddaughter! Now back to my story...

We had made arrangements for Aimee to come back and stay with us for a week. We toyed with the idea of having her stay with us the whole month of August and then finally settled on two weeks. She flew back home last Saturday.

So, what was it like having her hanging out with us for two weeks. Awesome. Let me be more specific, AWESOME!!

While we were still in Ohio, Aimee took me aside and said, “Don’t feel like you have to keep me entertained the whole time.” I took her at her word and my plan for the two weeks was basically, Let’s just hang out. We did a little more than that, but that was pretty much what happened – she came and shared our life.

Early on I introduced her to WKRP in Cincinnati. We watched three episodes one night and enjoyed them. Then the big hit, Lost in Space. We laughed and worried together at their outrageous predicaments. Our favorite scene was when they encountered a space cowboy standing on a high rock, “Howdy, folks.”. No kidding, a guy in his own private spaceship who was from Texas and wore a cowboy hat! And as far as they were concerned, this was an everyday event!! Aimee likes Star Trek The Next Generation, so I enjoyed a couple of episodes of this with her. I’m telling you, sometimes the excitement at my house is palpable!

One day I let her cut the grass. She didn't like the idea of the push-mower but enjoyed the riding mower!
    

We went for a couple of walks. One night we drove with Mary to work a walked back home (2.1 miles).

 Another evening we went for a walk along the river.

Aimee takes walks like I do – “Let’s see where every side trail goes.” Oh, when Aimee goes for a walk she is a serious bundle of energy. It seems I go for a stroll while she is shot out of a cannon! Of course, I can keep up with her, but I confess, I have to work at it!

Mary said we ought to go to Tennessee to see Aimee’s great-grandmother, so we did. Drove up there on Tuesday night and Wednesday afternoon we rode out to Roan Mountain. Beautiful! We stopped at the State Park and wandered a bit then drove up to the Tennessee-North Carolina border and hiked to the edge of the mountain. It was only 1.7 miles from the parking lot to the overlook, but I’m telling you, the hike out felt like it took two hours, the hike back felt like 20 minutes. It was beautiful.


See? She is off and running!
Early on I asked her if she was regularly reading in the Bible. “Yes, I am reading through the Bible Chronologically in one year and I’m almost finished.” Wow! I asked if I could read with her and then discuss our reading for the day. She agreed and together we read the last seven books: 2 Timothy, 2 Peter & Jude, 1 John, 2 & 3 John, Revelation. That was pretty cool.

On our last night we went took our supper at Fatz Café then went home and watched The Martian. While we watched she “live tweeted” commentary. Pretty hilarious stuff, too.

It was wonderful having her here for those two weeks! We were like two peas in a pod, causing Mary to roll her eyes at us more than once. What happens when Aimee and Granddaddy hang out together?


Ha! I love it because I love her!

No comments:

Post a Comment