Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Before Abraham was, I am

Pictures of Salvation in John
Chapter 7 & 8

I’m going through the Gospel According to John, seeing how Jesus spoke to people, and seeking to answer the question, How did he describe his offer of and our need for salvation? You can read the introduction here.

The pictures we have seen so far: new birth, serpent in the wilderness, living water, bread from heaven. Today I'm looking at chapters 7 and 8.

Chapter 7
The entire chapter is about Jesus in Jerusalem for the feast of tabernacles.

37-39 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 
(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet [given]; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)” 

Once again Jesus speaks of water. In chapter 4 he said to the woman at the well, whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. Jesus offers water for the thirsty soul, and the water he gives becomes a well of water bubbling up into everlasting life.

Here he once again speaks of being thirsty and coming to him to drink. But instead of a well of water, he says He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. “The river suggests the idea of fullness, magnitude, and abundance; spontaneous, free, and overflowing. And it is not merely a river, but rivers. It runs wherever it can find a channel...”  (A.B. Simpson).

But this spake he of the Spirit – There is a lot here worth pursuing!

which they that believe on him should receive – Beginning in Acts 2.

for the Holy Ghost was not yet – This is a very interesting expression. Does this mean he did not yet exist? Of course not! It means was not yet given, he had not yet come to be the other Comforter.

because that Jesus was not yet glorified – Joel prophesied, And it shall come to pass in the last days, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy. This could not happen until Jesus was glorified.

Ah, when the day of Pentecost was fully come ... they were all filled with the Holy Ghost. After Peter said this fulfilled (Joel’s) prophecy he added, This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. Jesus is exalted and the Comforter has come! (see the hymn below, maybe you can sing with me?)

Chapter 8
1-11 Woman caught in adultery
12-20 The Pharisees accuse Jesus of bearing witness to himself. And what was that testimony?
12  Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
Light is a common visual in this gospel. Jesus is called the light in chapters 1 and 3, but that is by John. This is the first time Jesus uses it. It obviously made a big impact on John.

21-29 Jesus speaks plainly to the Jews but they don’t understand.
Jesus makes two powerful statements (see below for more on this):

24  I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am, ye shall die in your sins.

28  Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am, and I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

30-59 Jesus speaks to those who believed on him; this leads to an extended discussion
30  As he spake these words, many believed on him.
31  Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
32  And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
33  They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?
34  Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
35  And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
36  If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
37  I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you.
38  I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father.
39  They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham.
40  But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.
41  Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.
42  Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.
43  Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
44  Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
45  And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
46  Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?
47  He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

There is a lot of imagery here: Jesus spoke of being set free from servitude to sin; the Jews say they are Abraham’s seed, Jesus says, No, you’re not Abraham’s children, you do the deeds of your father; you are of your father the devil, you are not of God; if you were of God you would believe in me.

of God and of the devil – very rich expression; it speaks of who you belong to, your nature, and thus your actions. You can hear the echo from chapter 3 where he spoke of being “born of the Spirit”. He doesn’t use the phrase born again, but he is obviously talking about it, dwelling not on the act of being born again, but the consequences.

This means born again occurs in chapter 1, chapter 3, and here. And it is interesting that born again and light occur together in all three chapters.

48-59 The discussion escalates
The Jews accuse Jesus of "having a devil” (demon possessed). He says no and adds
51  Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.
Is this not a beautiful promise!!

The Jews double down on their accusation:
52  Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.
53  Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself?

Jesus answers their question in 53 and his answer really sets them off:
56  Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw, and was glad.
57  Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
58  Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
59  Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

Before Abraham was, I am – There was a time when Abraham was not; he began when he was conceived. Before Abraham was conceived, I am. He is not saying he was born before Abraham, like Abraham was born before Moses, but "Abraham had a beginning; I am." This is a reference to Exodus 3:14, “I Am The One Who Is” (LXX). This is the third time in this chapter Jesus uses the phrase, I am. This is an amazing statement, I am. Who is Jesus? He says he is the I am. I am what, though? God! They would have understood this, too. And earlier he had emphasized, if ye believe not that I am, ye shall die in your sins.



Wow! What a chapter! How rich! Chapter 7 is not too shabby either! Such imagery: rivers of living water, light, slavery, freedom, of God, of the devil, I am. Amen!




Francis “Frank” Bottome (1823-1894) was born in Derbyshire, England, but later immigrated to the United States where he became a Methodist Episcopal minister. His preaching and his song writing gained him notoriety because both were filled with deep, rich doctrine of the Christian faith. He wrote the words to more than 50 songs, many of them about the wonderful gift of the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment