Wednesday, July 11, 2018

The answer is, Yes!

Meditations of an Orthodox Priest is one of the many blogs I follow. Ted Bobosh (Fr. Ted) is the author and is a priest in the Orthodox Church in America. Every once in a while he has some interesting things to say. I found this post to be really sad. First the blog, then my reaction.

Do You Really Want to Know God’s Will?

Rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.    (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)

One day I was alone in prayer at the church.  Struggling with knowing what God’s will was for me.  Kneeling before God with a heavy heart, I asked for His guidance. Then came to me this question:

“Do you really want to know what God’s will is?”

My initial reaction was a joyful “yes! of course!”   My life would be easier if I knew what God’s will was for me.  But then a calmer and wiser word came to mind.  I had to think.   If I knew God’s will and did it, then I wouldn’t disappoint God again by following my own way and not God’s.

But a more compelling thought came to my mind.  “NO!  I don’t want to know.” For if I don’t know God’s will and fail to do it, I can plead ignorance and ask for mercy.  But if I know God’s will and can’t or don’t do it or, even worse, won’t do it, then I have no excuse for not doing it, and little justification for asking for mercy.  Indeed, God’s will really is above and beyond my understanding, and there are simple commandments (like the Thessalonians passage above that I can do).

What a strange view of the will of God, especially for a leader in the church! What is so sad?

First of all, I get the impression he has an ambivalent view of the will of God, that it might not be all that good. Paul, on the other hand, describes the will of God as good, and acceptable, and perfect.



His gif for the will of God, suggests that it is mainly negative. I believe it is more like the photo on the right. See the bright light up ahead? The will of God leads to a good place.

“NO! I don’t want to know.” For if I don’t know God’s will and fail to do it, I can plead ignorance and ask for mercy – I confess, I simply don’t understand this. This is contrary to the entire gospel: For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, that I might know Him, walk with Him, have fellowship with Him. And now I am willing to live in ignorance of what pleases Him???

But if I know God’s will and can’t do it This is really sad. Is it possible or even conceivable that God would make His will known to me and leave me unable to do it? NO! God’s will is not always going to be easy, but it comes with the promise of grace to enable me to perform it:

Now the God of peace…Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ

That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him ... that ye may know ... what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe

Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think

being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform

Yes. Yes! YES! Through prayer, faith, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, God will enable us to walk in His ways. My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.


And then there’s this, Indeed, God’s will really is above and beyond my understanding. Really? Paul directly contradicts him, I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. And, we ... do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will. I can know the will of God. In fact, it is the will of God that I know the will of God!

There are simple commandments (like the Thessalonians passage above that I can do). Oh, now he’s confident that he can rejoice evermore, pray without ceasing, in every thing give thanks in his own strength? That’s funny. But seriously, he is on to something. Kenneth Copeland used to say, The will of God is the Word of God and the Word of God is the will of God. Basically this means I need to spend more time learning and doing what is written. What is the benefit of praying to know God’s unrevealed will when I’m not doing His already revealed will?



Ah, but aren’t there are specific, personal situations that aren’t covered in the Word? What do I do then? Pray to know His will, of course! But this doesn’t negate making a decision.

Here’s the situation: you are faced with a big decision; you’ve searched the Scriptures and found nothing that speaks directly to it. Pray and ask direction. As you wait on God for guidance, compare the benefits and drawbacks, seek counsel, trust God to guide you. Then, when you reach the time to decide, if God hasn’t revealed anything to you, make a decision, trusting God to make His will known through circumstances. Did you know God is more than able to work out His will in your life? Even through decisions you make. And, He is willing and able to reveal His will to you when you need to know. God is awesome like that.

I can know the will of God, God wants me to know the will of God. God will work His will out in my life when I’m fully surrendered, and ask Him, and trust Him. On top of that, the revelation of His will comes with grace to do that will. God is good like that.

What if my study of the Word reveals that I am not doing His will? Or, I learn His will and after a season I fail in my doing of that will? Ah, grace. If I repent and confess my sin, He will forgive me. Then if I submit to Him and set my heart to do His will, He will give me grace to do it. Yeah, God is loving like that.

Do I really want to know God’s will? Yes!! The will of God is good, and it is the best and safest place I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment