Sunday, July 22, 2018

Sunday with the Montagnards


Today we drove up to Charlotte to worship with the Montagnard Alliance Church. Now for the rest of the story.

The Montagnards are tribal people from the mountains of Vietnam. They became Christians through Christian & Missionary Alliance missionaries. During the Vietnam war they were allies of the US. Consequently, they were persecuted by the communists, both during and after the war. They were already mountain people, hence the name Montagnard (French for mountain), but with this persecution they were removed from their villages and wandered in the jungles for years. The Vietnamese Communist government eventually kicked them out of Vietnam and they were resettled in the United States. Charlotte, Raleigh, and Greensboro to be precise. I was pastor of Bible Covenant Community Church in York at the time (1986-87) and remember getting the news that these folks were coming. We gathered a bunch of supplies (clothes, food, etc) and Charles Costner and I drove them up to North Ridge Church in Raleigh, the collection center. And of course we prayed for them. Thus began our relationship with the Montagnards.

Charles Long, Pastor of North Ridge, was a former missionary in Vietnam to the Jurai tribe of the Montagnard. Betty Mitchell, another former missionary in Vietnam, was in Greensboro (Rhade). Helen Evans, missionary in Vietnam to the Koho, came to Charlotte in 1987 to live with and minister to the Montagnards in Charlotte.

I had helped start the Charlotte Area Pastors Fellowship and Helen joined us. So I have known her for a long time. Soon a relationship developed with the church. She is a precious sister. This sister is 95 years old and still active in ministry! And she still drives. Uh, faster than me!!

Soon after she started bringing Pastor Giao to our fellowship. He has quite story: he was pastor of these wandering people in the jungles of Vietnam; when he moved here he resumed his pastorate; while in the jungle he and his wife were separated; for like 16 years! How separated? Neither knew if the other was alive. He was shepherding the people here, she was shepherding the people still in the jungle. He had a radio ministry that was being broadcast into Vietnam. One day she heard him on the radio and knew he was still alive!! Finally, after 20+ years of separation they were reunited. Praise God!

Anyway, we decided to assemble with them today. So, we drove up to Charlotte.

As we walked into the building an older man was standing in the foyer and greeted me. I reached out my hand and said, “My name is Jeff.” Mary said, “Jeff, this is Pastor Giao.” Oh man! We embraced with great joy!!! Honestly, I did not know he was still the pastor – he is 85 years old!

He led us down to where Helen was sitting (on the front row!). Then it was time for the service to begin.

At the very beginning of the service he made a big deal about us being there, asking us to stand up and introducing us to the congregation, “This is Pastor Jeff and his wife!”

The service began in English, but after a couple of choruses one of the pastors announced, “If you don’t understand our tongue, please go to the Sunday School building for the English service.” Ha! There was no way I was gonna do that! I was already overwhelmed by being with old time friends and also by being with a people whose amazing story I knew. I freely admit, I cried a lot during the service. I mean, when the four brothers came to the front to take the offering, Helen leaned over to Mary and said, “They represent three different tribes.” Amen!

Then it was time for the message. Pastor Giao preached in Koho and another brother, K’bats’ husband (K'bat is Mary's friend), translated into Rhade. There was not a single word I even came close to understanding, but it felt like heaven - After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues. Amen!

He was preaching through Galatians 5:13-26, verse by verse. Since they spoke Koho and Rhade I didn’t understand a word of what was said, but was blessed as I followed along in my Bible. Actually, I think I came to an understanding of the passage. Isn’t God good!

A couple of times he mentioned me during the message. I’m just visiting and he is honoring me! At one point he pointed at me and said, “Even Pastor Jeff needs the Holy Spirit.” Even Pastor Jeff??!!?? I need the Holy Spirit more than any of them there!!

At one point Helen explained to Mary, “He is asking anyone who wants the fruit of the Spirit to stand up.” How utterly cool is that? Then at the end he pointed to me and Helen said, “He wants you to go up there and bring the benediction.” What an unspeakable privilege! I am honored to be among these people, and with Helen and Pastor Giao, and he is honoring me. Me!???

After church, Mary and I and Helen went to The Saigon Palace for lunch then back to Helen’s for fellowship. What a day!!


1 comment:

  1. Jeff this is an amazing story of your experience today. And also an amazing story of the history of these people and the ministry that helped to get here. What a reunion you experinced! God is Good. Be forever blessed with the gift you received
    To see your friends in Christ. Amen+

    ReplyDelete