Tuesday, July 24, 2018

I am the good shepherd

Salvation Pictures in John
Chapters 9 & 10

I’m going through the Gospel According to John, seeing how Jesus spoke to people, and seeking to answer the question, How did he describe his offer of and our need for salvation? You can read the introduction here.

The pictures we have seen so far: new birth, serpent in the wilderness, living water, bread from heaven, rivers of living water, light, slavery, freedom, of God, of the devil, I am. 

Chapter 9
Jesus heals a man blind from birth, which causes quite a stir among the Jews. The entire chapter is about blindness and the refusal of the Pharisees to acknowledge him as Christ.

As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. – Again, light. This appears to be one of the main emphases of Jesus.

39  And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.
40  And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also?
41  Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.
The man was literally blind. His blindness was physical as was his healing. But Jesus says this man is a picture of what he came to do. The Pharisees understand perfectly, Are we blind also? Jesus answers, “Yes, you are.” This fits so well with his emphasis on light, “I am the light of the world; I have come to give light to those who walk in darkness.”

Chapter 10
In 1-5 Jesus tells a parable about shepherds and sheep. They didn’t understand, so he gets to the point: I am the door of the sheep. Then he gets more specific, I am the good shepherd. As the shepherd he gives his life for the sheep; he knows his sheep and they know him.

The good shepherd – this is very powerful! He doesn’t say I am a good shepherd, but the good shepherd. He is referring to Ezekiel 34, where the Lord speaks about the then shepherds of Israel and how He will care for His sheep. After rebuking the shepherds for their lack of care he says, For thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I, even I will... I the Lord GOD will shepherd them. (the Lord GOD means the Lord Yahweh).

I will both search my sheep, and seek them out. 
As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out my sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day.  
I will bring them to their own land, and feed them upon the mountains of Israel
I will feed them in a good pasture, and upon the high mountains of Israel shall their fold be: there shall they lie in a good fold, and in a fat pasture shall they feed upon the mountains of Israel.
I will feed my flock, and I will cause them to lie down, saith the Lord GOD.
I will seek that which was lost, and bring again that which was driven away, and will bind up that which was broken, and will strengthen that which was sick

The Lord GOD promised to shepherd his people – he is the good shepherd in the prophecy. When Jesus says he is the good shepherd, he is clearly referencing this passage, saying he is the fulfillment of this prophecy. What is really interesting is what Jesus goes on to say . . .

27  My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
28  And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
Talk about taking care of the sheep! Jesus really is the good shepherd!

29  My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
30  I and my Father are one.
31  Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
32  Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
33  The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
This is a rare occasion - the Jews understood completely what he meant!

My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all – Amen! This is repeated throughout the New Testament, but does this being true detract anything from the Son? No. For as Jesus goes on to say . . .

I and my Father are one – literally this is, I and the Father are one. Not in person, for the Father must be a distinct person from the Son, and the Son a distinct person from the Father; and which is further manifest, from the use of the verb plural, "I and the Father", "we are one"; that is, in nature and essence, and perfections (John Gill)

One in nature, One in all the attributes of Godhead, and One in all the operations of those attributes: and so it is evident the Jews understood him. (Adam Clarke)

Jesus, the Son of the Father, is indeed the good shepherd spoken of in Ezekiel 34!

O how rich the teaching of Jesus Christ, the light of the world, the door of the sheepfold, the good shepherd. Amen!



If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

And many believed on him there.

No comments:

Post a Comment