Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Atonement

This began (in my mind) as Words We Don’t Hear At Church Anymore. Words like atonement, propitiation, reconciliation, redemption (not to mention justification, sanctification, adoption). I still think I will write about these wonderful and powerful words. But as I was thinking about it I thought about how I was taught the wonderful truths of the atonement. And that is what I write about today.

I became a Christian in 1973 while I was living in Nashville, TN and began attending First Baptist Church of Donelson. I cannot remember the name of the man who was Pastor when I joined but shortly afterward he retired and was replaced by Brother Harris. (It was Bro. Harris who introduced me to the baptism with the Holy Spirit by his recommending the book, The Holy Spirit: Who He Is And What He Does by R.A. Torrey – this led to me eventually being driven out of the Baptist church!) I did a lot of personal work with Bro. Harris but cannot recall much of his teaching/preaching ministry. But I had a Sunday School teacher, Mr. Livingstone, who was a retired Pastor. And I remember when he preached on propitiation. It was awesome! Other than that I just can’t remember whether there was much emphasis on the atonement.

I moved to Martin, TN to attend the University of Tennessee at Martin and attended Southside Baptist Church. I remember some of the saints there and the pastor, Bro. Tuton. But, while living in Martin I was introduced to the charismatic renewal through the campus ministry of Maranatha Ministries. Maranatha had a heavy emphasis on Bible study. Twice a week the study would begin at 7 and end at 10 or 10:30 (when I got to Bible College I was astounded to hear that charismatics didn’t believe in Bible study! And then I discovered Chuck Smith of Calvary Chapel - he would teach for an hour, going through the entire Bible verse by verse; nope these folks didn't believe in Bible study!). In these Bible studies there was an emphasis on the atonement – what Christ accomplished for us at the cross andbecause of this, what we could expect Him to do in us.

When Mary graduated, we moved to Memphis, TN so she could work and I could go to Bible College. It was here that a friend at church loaned me some tapes by a man named Derek Prince. The 6 tape series was, The Exchanges Made at the Cross. This was incredible! And amazing! He showed what Jesus did for us at the cross - the atonement! This tremendously affected me personally and influenced my teaching ministry as a pastor.

I also read The Normal Christian Life by Watchman Nee, which takes you through Paul’s letter to the Romans. In this he emphasized the atonement - what Jesus did for us when He died on the cross and what we can expect Him to do in us because of this.

While living in Memphis we left the Baptist Church and began attending Alliance Bible Church, a part of the Christian and Missionary Alliance (founded by A.B. Simpson). Since they believed  healing was in the atonement, there was a lot of teaching about the atonement. And you should read A.B. Simpson!

The point to all this reminiscing is this: I was taught and it was routinely stressed in this teaching, Every blessing, every expectation, every hope of experiencing the promises of God was through the death and resurrection of Jesus. Simpson used to say, We are forgiven through His death, we have eternal life through His resurrection, we have the Holy Spirit through His exaltation. Amen! God has promised great things to us and we can expect great things from Him - but only because of and through the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ!

We need preaching and teaching like this, where it is proclaimed, Everything flows out of the cross of Christ.

Why? Because you can’t experience what God has for you until you understand what Jesus did for you at the cross. There is no certainty when there is no understanding of the atonement: you will never know what God has for you. All that God does for us is grounded in the cross. It is not because you are good, or worthy, or even earnest in your asking. It is because Jesus secured it for us at the cross.

The preacher/teacher needs to know, This blessing or experience I am speaking to you about, you can have it because Jesus purchased it for you! And if Jesus didn't purchase it for you at the cross, you can never have it.

I realize that not every message or teaching can be on the cross. But everything flows out from it. Think about it: He was raised from the dead because the price was fully paid at the cross! He was exalted to the right hand of God because he humbled himself to die on the cross!

About a month ago a friend of mine announced on his Facebook page that he was going to be teaching the youth group about the “expiation of Christ”.  It wasn’t the way I would do it, but it is awesome to hear of somebody teaching propitiation! I say again, we need preaching and teaching like this!

I think my next post will be a summary of Derek Prince’s Exchanges at the Cross.

Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God

As I finished this I thought of a song Barry McGuire sang a long time ago:

Enter In
Jack Campaign, he was a wicked man
Stole from friends as well as foes
And Jack Campaign he never cared for anyone
Well, Jack Campaign was all alone

Then came his day to stand before the Lord
To give an account of his life
He said, "I'm sorry, I don't want to die"
And Jack Campaign began to cry
The Lord said, "Sorry, I never knew you
Sorry, but it's too late
Sorry, I never knew you
Depart from me. You've sealed your fate"

John L. Jones was considered a good man
By all the people throughout the land
John L. Jones he had the good book on his shelf
But John L. Jones lived for himself

Then came his day to stand before the Lord
To give an account of his life
"I went to church, you know I paid my tithes"
All the Lord said was, "Why?"
The Lord said, "Sorry, I never knew you
Sorry, but it's too late
Sorry, I never knew you
Depart from me. You've sealed your fate"

Well C. T. Studd he was a humble man
Served the Lord both night and day
All his life he lived to honor Him
And at his feet he learned to pray

Then came his day to stand before the Lord
To give an account of his life
With tears of joy streaming down his face
He said, "My King died in my place"
The Lord said, "Enter into the kingdom
Enter in my friend
Enter into the kingdom
For now your life will never end"

(C.T. Studd was a real man. You ought to look him up)

No comments:

Post a Comment