Saturday, January 22, 2011

Observations from behind the counter

Just some random things I notice and think about at work.

Do you have a bathroom? It is astounding how many people are driving around Rock Hill all night long looking for a bathroom

The Lottery  it amazes me how many people have a system or a plan for playing the lottery! Do they not stop and think, “The reason the lottery has so much money is the vast majority of those buying into it will lose”? Some people have their “lucky numbers” that they play every week for Powerball. They lose every week, but they keep playing their lucky numbers! I have one man who comes in frequently and will spend $200 to $250 dollars buying scratch off tickets (4 at a time, then he goes outside to scratch them off and comes back in for more…); when he wins $100 he walks away like he won something.

20 dollar bills Usually beginning Thursday night everybody has a 20 dollar bill. They buy everything with a 20. Even a 50 cent paper. By Sunday morning I hate 20s!

(Didn’t typewriters use to have a key with the cent symbol? Why don't computer keyboards have one?)

make up your mind already – I am surprised at the number of people who have trouble deciding things. They will come in with the intention of buying gas, come to the counter, “I want……$10 gas. No, make it $11. No, $10." Or, ask and pay for $10 gas, turn to leave and then come back to the counter, Can you make it $11?
A man came in last night and said, “I would like a box of Newports. Wait, how much are Marlboro 72s. No give me Newports. Wait, do you have any specials? No, Newports. Uh, how much are those Camels? I’ll just take Newports.” I asked, Are you sure? Finally he was!

The Slammer is a newspaper that has pictures of everybody in all the surrounding counties that was arrested last week. People are enthralled with this. We have to staple them, otherwise people will stand at the counter and look through the entire paper! They seem fascinated with other people’s misery and misfortune.

That reminds me of reading. People in Rock Hill seem functionally illiterate. That or practically blind. We will have a sign on the door saying, Sorry we are temporarily closed. They will still pull on the door and be shocked that it won’t open. We could put a sign at a product saying, Pepsi $1 and they will ask, How much is this? I guess the joke is on us, because we still put the signs up!

That reminds me, I believe if we had a barricade at the door, people wanting beer and cigarettes would climb over just to get in. That is why Saturday night is nice, no beer after midnight. Well, except for the people who think that doesn’t apply to them or they are somewhere else J

1 comment: