Wednesday, August 14, 2013

On reading Irenaeus and Justin

I recently read two very good, very old books: The Demonstration of the Apostolic Preaching by Irenaeus (130-202) and Dialogue with Trypho by Justin (100-165).

The Demonstration of the Apostolic Preaching, sometimes known as Proof of the Apostolic Preaching was written to someone named Marcianus, and begins, “I will show forth in brief the preaching of the truth for the confirmation of your faith. We send you as it were a manual of essentials, in brief the demonstration of the things of God.” And he proceeds to set forth the Gospel, as preached by the Apostles.

Dialogue with Trypho is the account of a discussion between Justin and a Jew named Trypho.

I say again they are very good. And I highly recommend them, especially for pastors and preachers and teachers of the Word. Why? What do I find so good about them?

1. Their knowledge and command of the Bible. They know the Bible so well and are able to quote verses from all over the Old Testament. And remember, this is before computers! I’ve been a Christian for 40 years. I’ve read it, studied it, taught nearly every book of the Bible. Sometimes I get to thinking, I know it pretty good. Then I read these guys! I am truly impressed by their grasp of the Scriptures. And humbled by it. And hopefully motivated to know it better.

2. The teaching ministry of the early church. I am deeply impressed. They faithfully and fully passed the faith on. Justin and Irenaeus did not go to Bible College, or Seminary. They learned the Word through the ministry of a local church. A pastor or Bishop, who also knew all this, taught it to them! Yes, lots of one on one time. But when you read their works, it is amazing. Impressive. Convicting.

3. They preached Christ from the Old Testament. They had the New, they knew it, they quoted from it, but they preached Christ and the Christian life from the Old Testament. So often today we ignore the Old Testament. I have heard pastors say, “We don’t preach from the Old Testament because we are a New Testament Church.” Inexplicable and utterly sad.

4. They preach Christ. For them the Gospel is Christ. So often for us today the Gospel is, How to go to heaven when you die. But they were focused on Christ, who He is, how He fulfilled prophecy in His life and ministry. And salvation; while they talk about forgiveness of sins, they emphasize deliverance from death, restoration to life, and participation in the life of God. The gospel is Jesus. He is the Christ. He is the Son of God. He is destroying the work of the devil (idolatry). He is now saving men from all nations. And all this from the Old Testament!

5. I am persuaded that they are accurately reflecting and repeating what the Apostles taught. I believe their approach to the Old Testament, their interpretation, their presentation, are all apostolic. After all, And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself. Thus Jesus taught the Apostles and I am sure they taught the churches. Irenaeus and Justin were not partners, yet you will find in them the same interpretation of passages. How? The apostolic voice in the early church.

So in brief, this is why I am so impressed by these two books.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks - I just purchased both books for my Kindle - total cost - $2.98

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff - You may enjoy a book I've read a number of times over the years and am now reading again. It is more contemporary (published 1981by Wilford H. Reidt), but-- especially in chapter 2-- references Justin and Irenaeus. The title of the book is: Jesus, God's Way of Healing & Power to Promote Health> subtitled: Featuring the Miracle Ministry of Dr. John G. Lake. I am blessed by it. Think you would be, too.

    Re your remarks regarding the Old and New Testaments, I am grieved each time I hear a local pastor on the radio refer to the Jewish testament and the Christian testament-- as if it were not Christ from beginning to end. Kay

    ReplyDelete