Thursday, September 1, 2016

A hymn for Thursday

O Boundless Salvation

O boundless salvation! deep ocean of love,
O fullness of mercy, Christ brought from above,
The whole world redeeming, so rich and so free,
Now flowing for all men, now flowing for all men,
Now flowing for all men, come, roll over me!

My sins they are many, their stains are so deep,
And bitter the tears of remorse that I weep;
But weeping is useless; thou great crimson sea,
Thy waters can cleanse me, thy waters can cleanse me,
Thy waters can cleanse me, come, roll over me!

The tide now is flowing, I’m touching the wave,
I hear the loud call of 'the Mighty to Save;'
My faith’s growing bolder, delivered I’ll be;
I plunge ’neath the waters, I plunge ’neath the waters,
I plunge ’neath the waters they roll over me.

And now, hallelujah! the rest of my days
Shall gladly be spent in promoting His praise
Who opened His bosom to pour out this sea
Of boundless salvation, of boundless salvation,
Of boundless salvation for you and for me.

(this link will allow you to hear the sung song)

William Booth, 1893
Boundless Salvation is also called The Founder’s Song, though Booth wrote many songs. General Booth wrote it to be sung at an evangelistic campaign being held at Exeter Hall in London. The crusade was called the Boundless Salvation Campaign, and this song was first sung November 14, 1893, during that campaign. Originally, the chorus Heavenly Gales are Blowing was sung between each of the verses. The words were first published in the Salvation Army magazine, The War Cry, on December 23, 1893.

The heavenly gales are blowing,
The cleansing stream is flowing,
Beneath its waves I am going,
Hallelujah, praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment