Thursday, September 22, 2016

A hymn for Thursday

Where Jesus Is, ’Tis Heaven There

I can’t remember when I learned this hymn, but I can remember sitting at the piano, playing and singing it quite often in the Fellowship Hall in the church in Macon, GA. I love it. And in an interesting note, this is one of the most popular hymns in Korea. You can listen to it here, just a guy and his guitar.

Since Christ my soul from sin set free,
This world has been a Heav’n to me;
And ’mid earth’s sorrows and its woe,
’Tis Heav’n my Jesus here to know.

O hallelujah, yes, ’tis Heav’n,
’Tis Heav’n to know my sins forgiv’n,
On land or sea, what matters where?
Where Jesus is, ’tis Heaven there.

Once Heaven seemed a far off place,
Till Jesus showed His smiling face;
Now it’s begun within my soul,
’Twill last while endless ages roll.

What matters where on earth we dwell?
On mountain top, or in the dell,
In cottage, or a mansion fair,
Where Jesus is, ’tis Heaven there.

Words: Charles J. Butler (in The Chorus of Praise, edited by James M. Black,1898)
Music: James M. Black
Black was an active member of the Pine Street Methodist Episcopal Church from 1904 until his death, serving as a song leader and Sunday school teacher. He also found time to edit a dozen Gospel song books, write almost 1,500 songs, and serve on the commission for the 1905 Methodist hymnal. Perhaps a more familiar hymn of his: When the Roll is Called Up Yonder

Here it is done beautifully in Korean

No comments:

Post a Comment