Sunday, September 25, 2016

Herman Eckstein

I think about this brother from time to time. He was one of the men in the first church I pastored, Brent Alliance Church in Pensacola, FL. I liked this brother. He was a quiet and shy man who loved the Lord.
Sunday nights, our songs were often chosen by the congregation. I was remembering the night he picked "Consider the Lillies." It must've been on our song list, but I can't recall the list or how it would've gotten there. You see, I didn't know the chorus! 
When Herman called out his choice, I looked at it, said I didn't know this one, then asked him, "Do you know it?" He answered, "No. It just looks like a good one." Isn't that cool?
We didn't sing it that night, I mean, no one knew it, but I promised him I would learn it so we could sing it. I did and we did! We sang it often after that. I liked it so much it made it into the chorus book we published at the next church I pastored, First Alliance Church in Macon, GA. Sadly, we never sang it at the church I pastored in York.
Anyway, I was remembering Herman the other day and thinking about the night he picked this chorus. I looked for it among my song books this morning, found it, and sang it. I really don't know if I know anybody else who knows it, so I have included the sheet music so you can work it out just like I did all those years ago. As you can see, the song spills over onto the next page. Next page? You have to turn the page!


No comments:

Post a Comment